Wierd problem with external monitor and MBP

Reaction score
I have just bought an external monitor which I wish to use together with my Macbook Pro (2010). Everything works fine at first, but after 10-15 minutes the monitor starts going black for a second, with a "No signal" message and then it finds the VGA-signal again. This problems keeps on happening, with increased frequency, until the screen is completely black and without signal.

I have bought a (not Apple) mini dvi to VGA adapter and the monitor is a Asus 20 inch.

The computer still registres the monitor, after the black screen has appeared, because the dock remains not visible at my macbook screen.

Any ideas for what could be causing this?

(I have tried to search for similar threads, but none is similar to my problem)

In advance, Thanks - Dennis

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I have bought a (not Apple) mini dvi to VGA adapter and the monitor is a Asus 20 inch.
I'm pretty sure that's your reason right there. Try it with an Apple adapter and I'm sure you'll find that it was the adapter causing the issue.

OP
P
Reaction score
Try it with an Apple adapter and I'm sure you'll find that it was the adapter causing the issue.

Okay, thanks, I just did not think that it was the adapter, because of the setup working fine the first 10 minutes.
Then I guess I must get my hands on one of those (despite their cost in Denmark)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Some non-Apple connectors may work. It might be enough to try a different brand from the one you are currently using.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.