MBP 5,5 battery dying or software problems? Service Battery

Reaction score
I've had this battery problem for about 5 days now. It is the Service Battery warning.

I've attached the coconutbattery log. As you can see, the battery capacity JUMPS from high 80s to about 23% in a given day, or even hour.

I do not want to buy a new battery if it turns out the problem isn't the battery. What would be your take on this? Any inputs?

The cycle count on the battery is 425. Seems somewhat usual for a 21mt year old machine? Also, the coconutbattery readings are arranged by date, and then by %. Right now its at 26% capacity. Earlier it was 89%.

I have reset the SMC and PRAM what all those goodies. I have updated my current software. I am running SL, 10.6.8. I have TRIED to calibrate the battery. But it is hard when the battery is read at 26% capacity and dies out when in reality it is in the 80s.

PICTURE LINK
http://i.imgur.com/EdiDm.png

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is that battery the removable type or the non removable? The non removable batteries have a service life of 1000 cycles while the removable ones are only 300 cycles. If it's a non removable battery it may still be under warranty. Also since your MBP is a Mid 2009 13" machine it may still be warranted if you bought Apple care.

OP
S
Reaction score
Didn't buy applecare, it's a secondhand macbook.

It's the non-removable type (with the huge sticker that says do not remove!).

I've tinkered inside of it a bit, I hope it doesn't void anything :/

But I'll bring it in to apple to see what they can do.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.