Microsoft access and STATA on Mac, bootcamp vs Parallels

Reaction score
I have an iMac OS X, first time mac user. I need microsoft access and STATA. I currently have STATA installed on my iMac

If I buy bootcamp (BC) or parallel, would I buy and install access on this system? i.e. do I open a "BC or parallels" window, and download access that way?

After I install access, I need to transfer the data to STATA 12 (a statistical analysis software that is currently loaded on my iMac, not sure how many out there are familiar with this) I am a physician and this is the program that will run the actual stats. STATA runs on both Mac and PC.

Would this work? Or would I need to install STATA on "BC or Parallels" (right now only on my iMac)

I guess the overall question is, do people recommend Boot Camp or Parallels for my particular situation, and, will it work. I understand this may be difficult as I don't know how many mac users utilize access and STATA.

Thank you for any advice, greatly appreciated.

Henry

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Admin note - I removed your email address. You don't want to post that publicly - spammers might make use of it.

Boot Camp install Windows to your hard drive while Parallels "virtualizes" it. Virtualizing an operating system installs Windows to a file (or collection of files) and you run Windows in a program. If you do this, you end up running Windows and OS X at the same time. If you choose Boot Camp, Windows is installed to the hard drive like it would be on a non-Mac. If you go this route, you'd have to reboot your machine to switch between the two.

Here's what I mean by running an OS in a window if you virtualize it:

Screen Shot 2011-11-07 at 3.19.11 PM.png

As you can see, I'm running OS X and another OS at the same time (in this case, it's Linux). If you only need Access, a VM (virtual machine) is likely more than sufficient. And, to address your first question, you would install Access like you would any other Windows program.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks and thanks!

I think a VM is the best way to go. Do you think I would have any problems with moving the data on Microsoft Access (on windows) to STATA (on the iMac, STATA reads access files)?

Thanks again for all your help,

H

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If Stata reads Access files, I can't see why not. It might be wise to first check to see whether or not the Mac version can import Access files first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.