OS X Leopard - Trackpad "Show Desktop" Gesture while selecting a file

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I did some search on the forum but couldn't find an article related to this issue.

When using Leopard, I used to use the "Show Desktop" trackpad gesture to go to the desktop, select a file, come back to the program I was using with the reverse gesture and drop the file (eg.: when adding an attachment to an email).
I'm finding this close to impossible after I did the upgrade to Lion.

The gesture to show desktop works, but after I select the file it simply doesn't come back! I could only find clumsy ways to fix this (moving windows around, opening a finder window, using cmd+tab to go to some other program and then go to the program I want).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Reaction score
Hey Jedi!

I've got my problems solved.

I'm a music producer.
Sometimes i edit my own music videos
and I know exactly what you were talking about.

How I solved my problem:

step 1:

go download bettertouchtool
it's a application that helps you controlling your trackpad, mouse...etc
Great Tools For Your Mac By Andreas Hegenberg » BetterTouchTool, BetterSnapTool & SecondBar

then install it.

step 2:

Here's a list that helps you setting up your stuff:
Dan Rodney's List of Mac OS X Multi-Touch Gestures

for our problem, it's

four fingers swipe up -> show desktop
four fingers swipe down -> Application Expose

Have a good day! :D

OP
J
Reaction score
F5 key

Thanks for the tip hauerhsieh,

Speaking on irc someone gave me a tip. The F5 key can be used to show/hide desktop.
Since I'm on a macbook pro I need to press fn + f5 (unless I have my bluetooth keyboard connected) and it does the trick alright coming back from the "show desktop" mode.

Hope this can be useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.