Front Row

N

newclearwinter

Hey guys,

Anyone know if we'll be able to get Front Row for the old iMac G5's...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Unlikely. The remote for front row uses RF technology, and there is an RF receiver built in behind the apple logo on the iMac. So unless apple decides to make an external USB receiver I don't see them releasing it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Not to mention, FrontRow is a selling point for people to buy new Macs. If you really want it, then you'll upgrade.

Similar to how Apple doesn't support all new features each time it updates new iPods. I had a 3G iPod for awhile and there were several things that the new iPods had that I couldn't get even after firmware updates.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
trpnmonkey41 said:
Unlikely. The remote for front row uses RF technology, and there is an RF receiver built in behind the apple logo on the iMac. So unless apple decides to make an external USB receiver I don't see them releasing it

Actually Apple's remote uses IR (infrared), not RF (radio frequency). This is pretty surprising and in my opinion pretty senseless. They could have used Bluetooth as it is already built in, instead of adding an IR-sensor that can't be used for anything else than the remote. That would be more comfortable as well, as IR doesn't work when something's between the remote and the sensor.

Reaction score
Avalon said:
Actually Apple's remote uses IR (infrared), not RF (radio frequency). This is pretty surprising and in my opinion pretty senseless. They could have used Bluetooth as it is already built in, instead of adding an IR-sensor that can't be used for anything else than the remote. That would be more comfortable as well, as IR doesn't work when something's between the remote and the sensor.

I think they used IR because that is the industry standard with remotes. If the iMac is to be used as a media center, then one could use a universal remote for their whole system (TV, Stereo, iMac, iPod, etc).

OP
N

newclearwinter

If the remote does work via IR then would it be possible to use Front Row using the new universal docks?

Obviously you'd still need to download the application itself. Perhaps apple would do this on their website. What do you all think?

Even if they did this though, i doubt they'd make it a free download.

Your thoughts...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
While it may be possible, I won't expect Apple to do it. This is their hook to get people to buy new machines.

OP
N

newclearwinter

schweb said:
While it may be possible, I won't expect Apple to do it. This is their hook to get people to buy new machines.

I think i already knew it. Just being tight and not wanting to buy a new computer...!

Reaction score
I have it working and it's pretty cool. My minaise buttons on Safari have disappeared which is a bit wierd but I can live with that as minimise is ok with all other windows. I can use remote desktop feature of my Sony Ericsson S700 to fully control Front Row via Bluetooth :)

Reaction score
Oh, if you want minimise buttons back just quit Front Row through Activity Monitor. this is wicked!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PB 15" 1.33ghz 512mb 80gb iPod 5G White
yeh I haven't tried it out yet, because i'm converting movies in itunes and it takes like 7 days for each. hahaha so if i restart i'll lose it. when 10.4.3 comes out though I'm going to do it. Is it nice?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.