Quicktime won't open

Reaction score
Hello,
I am running Mac OS X 10.6.8 on a 2010 macbook. For the last few months, everytime I try and open a video file (mostly .avi and .mp4 file types) I click on the file and nothing happens. Quicktime is set as my default video player and in the past when I click on my video files they are automatically opened in Quicktime with no problems. In addition, I have tried opening Quicktime as an application and nothing happens. It just doesn't open.

I can't figure out how to uninstall and then reinstall the Quicktime software, so I have been google hunting for answers to this with not much luck. On ehow.com I found a tutorial titled "Quicktime won't open" that seemed to describe my problem. It said to quit the Quicktime process in my Activity monitor, restart the computer, delete a preference file, restart the computer, repair the disc permissions for the hard drive and then restart once more. Took me a while, but I completed the steps listed and the problem was not fixed. Does anyone have experience with this and/or know a solution?

Erin

OP
E
Reaction score
Alright, does anyone at least know how to uninstall the version of Quicktime that came with the OS? Then I can do a clean install of Quicktime 7 from apple's website.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Go into your finder window and type in "Quicktime" when the app pops up, drag it into the trash and empty it. Done. You can now do a clean install of Quicktime 7 as you suggested.

OP
E
Reaction score
Great, thank you! I didn't realize it was so easy. I guess I am used to Windows... i.e. Add/Remove Programs. Is there any lingering evidence of the old Quicktime that I can remove?

Reaction score
Didn't work

Tried all that but STILL can't delete QuickTime because it says "QuickTime can't be deleted as it is needed by Mac OS". Any other ideas guys?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.