• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imovie - mpeg 1 and 2?

Reaction score
Hi all,

My boyfriend is converting some old VHS-C tapes to his computer for me (he's connected the video recorder to his pc, and recording them with showbiz 2, which saves them as mpegs)

Now when I try to view them or open them with imovie or quicktime - they won't open on my mac. I've had a look in the help menu and it says that imovie doesn't support muxed mpeg 1 and 2 (whatever that means!!)

How can I be able to use them and edit them in imovie - is there something that my boyfriend can do to convert the files on his pc that will do the trick?

Oh and why can't I open the files in quicktime, as I can't view them either?

Thanks all - p.s. I don't know much about movie files etc - so if you could explain in idiot language so that I can understand!!!

OP
S
Reaction score
Anyone????

Unless anyone has any suggestions of how I can get the film onto my mac? Or is there another mac editing software that can handle muxed films?

Can't believe this is such a palava - but its really simple to do on a PC!!

D

damontgo

i have a lot of trouble working with video files between PCs and Macs. If you need to be able to view them only, I would try the VLC player. search for it at www.versiontracker.com if you need to edit them, either upgrade to QT Pro, which supports more formats ( i think will support muxed mpeg1 and 2, but don't quote me on it) or download BBDemux, also available on versiontracker last time I checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac - 3.06 C2D - 4 GB RAM & Mac Mini - 1.66 Intel - 2GB RAM
damontgo said:
i have a lot of trouble working with video files between PCs and Macs. If you need to be able to view them only, I would try the VLC player. search for it at www.versiontracker.com if you need to edit them, either upgrade to QT Pro, which supports more formats ( i think will support muxed mpeg1 and 2, but don't quote me on it) or download BBDemux, also available on versiontracker last time I checked.

Could also try using ffmpegX to demux the MPEG files or convert them to a format iMovie could work with.... http://homepage.mac.com/major4/

Also, see if your boyfriend can capture to AVI or MOV format from Showbiz, according to the website, he should be able too.

Hope it helps!

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies guys. I've downloaded your links - but when I've look at the apps - its not very clear to me what I need to do - as a neebie to movie editing etc - I don't really know what I'm doing, so don't really understand the technical stuff I've had a play and tried converting stuff - but to no avail - they still won't play in imovie.

I've downloaded VLC media player and I can now at least play my files on my mac - but this isn't an editing programme.

Is there something else I can use instead of imovie - something that has a simple interface but will play muxed files, just so that I can edit them - basically does exactly what imovies does - but something that can read my files.

Any advice would be very greatfully appreciated - I'm on the verge of giving up now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.