Hard Drive Meltdown

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

As of late last week I experienced the first real problem I've ever had with my MacBook Pro, which I bought almost four years ago. I have to say, all and all I've been very pleased with Apple's products.

The one bad thing that happened to this computer is when a power surge fried my power cord and battery, both of which I had to replace. Since then every battery I have, new or the original, can barely hold a charge (e.g., it will say "77% charge, but then turn off). I also get the impression that I am getting litle electrical shocks from my computer. Basically, something in the power system is messed up, but that was three years ago and I haven't really had any other problems.

Still, I think my hard drive is done for. Thursday or Friday (2-3 days ago) the monitor started to pixelate and after changing up for a while the screen would freeze, although I could still move my mouse cursor around. I later discovered while on Skype that I could still talk as if everything were still working. So, when this started I shut the comp down, reloaded and it happened again in the start-up screen, so I shut it down again. I fiddled with this for a while then finally it started working. I did a virus scan with Clam Xav, no virus, deleted a program I had just installed (TweetDeck with Adobe Air), and everything was fine.

Just now, it happened again, but much more severe and I tried doing the same thing but then I discovered I couldn't even login. I got to the screen once, after repeated shut downs to get rid of the pixelated screen, but it wouldn't let me login (mind you it didn't give a wrong password warning, it just didnt login). Then I shut it down and since then I've only gotten the gray screen with the Apple logo and the twirling clock. After I realized it was never going to boot, I rebooted with the recovery disk and here I am. I don't really know what the recovery disk is except that its somewhere inside the laptop; I never realized this was an option before.

It says that my hard drive is not mounted and cannot be repaired, and I don't know if I can erase it and reload everything back on (I have an up to date time machine back up and another manual backup of my documents), or should I get a new hard drive. Or did that lightening storm power surge finally take its toll on the whole beast?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You're probably looking at replacing that hard drive. As far as the power problems and battery not charging, there's not much you can do about that unless you're planning on spending a lot of cash to fix a 2007 machine. I would just replace the hard drive and get it up and running again best you can and save my pennies for a new machine.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hm, I might have to end up doing that.

I just read, however, that Mac OS 10.7 sets up an automatic partition in the hard drive for a recovery drive and I am currently working on that. It is working perfectly fine, it seems. Do you think it is possible that the hard drive itself is fine but just scrambled?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You could always try a Lion reinstall from the Recovery partition. That will tell you if the drive is OK. If it acts up again after the reinstall, you have your answer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.