Upgrading IPOD touch to 5.0 - warns it will delete my Apps

Reaction score
Hi, When I go to synch my IPOD touch it wants to upgrade to IOS 5.0 but gives me this warning message:-

"Upgrading to IOS 5.0 will delete all your apps on your IPOD touch. To preserve your apps apply the update on the computer where you synch them"

This message doesn't make sense to me as I still have to link my IPOD touch to the Macbook Pro with a cable.... Can anyone help? How do I upgrade my IPOD touch without deleting my apps, thanks, Neil

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Sync your iPod Touch to the computer you normally use for syncing. That should back up all of the apps, data and settings. Assuming you've done that, you have nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario is, you'd just re-sync and everything would get loaded back on just as it was.

Now, if you've taken the iPod and connected it to multiple iTunes libraries and there's not one definitive back-up somewhere, then I'd be concerned.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well I've followed your instructions - it's reloaded all my music and playlists but not the Apps. They appear in iTunes on my laptop but I've tried re-synching and it's not put them back on. Can't see any command to reload them..... any ideas? thanks, neil

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Connect your iPod to your computer. Open iTunes. Click the iPod in the left column. It should show a summary in the main window pane. Click the tab "Apps" at the top of that pane. Check the box that says "Sync Apps".

00000276.png

Then click the "Sync" button at the bottom right. That should do it.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, I did that but one of them (which unfortunately has a lot of data in it) wasn't there - funny as I've been using it for 6 months. So I'm at a loss. Do you know if it would have backed the app and it's data up when I started the upgrade...? I've got all the data until the end of Oct downloaded so it's not terminal but seems I'll have to buy the app and start again if I can't find it..... bloody computers!

OP
H
Reaction score
Well, went back to the iTunes stores, found the app in my list of purchased, downloaded it again and it's restored with all the data! A happy man. Many thanks for your help, regards, Neil

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.