broken bluetooth connector MacMini 2011

Reaction score
My MacMini mid 2011 i5 has a broken bluetooth/wireless antenna connector. It was very flimsy and even being cautious it broke & cannot be connected. I have had a friend who is in electronics for years and he says it might not work if soldered.... without the possibility of also rendering the antenna inoperative... if the soldering didnt work. Sooo,
#1 Two others have also said I need a new card..... but both the service techs and I cannot find the card in stock...... only backordered (how long ????)
Where Is there any replacement card compatible for this New MacMini 2011? or genuine Apple replacement card availability?
#2 If I decided to not replace the card ($200 repair/w card) Will Airport still
function with a USB adaptor of some kind (please suggest) and how well??

Lastly, soldering possibility or other fix??? (please suggest) pleas help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I don't understand the problem.... Isn't your Mac Mini under warranty? What does Apple say about replacing the card? If the card is on backorder, I would think Apple would exchange your Mini for a brand new one?

OP
S
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the problem.... Isn't your Mac Mini under warranty? What does Apple say about replacing the card? If the card is on backorder, I would think Apple would exchange your Mini for a brand new one?

Yes, still only a few months old.... but Apple wont honor it because I opened the MacMini. I have upgraded my Macbook and other macs so I had no problem but the connector is so flimsy that even with care it broke. But the 3rd party service cant even get the card....backorder.... and I really need the mini for my business. I only took the mini to an Apple store by me and they refused to service it. Soooo.... Anybody please just let me know where to get the card.... I've tried a few places already on the internet... No Luck. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Your best bet is to get the part number of the card in question and then compare it to the part number of previous Mac Mini cards. Here's a link to a site I've used in the past. I opened these Minis a few times and they are pretty straight forward if you just need to swap a card. That said, I've only messed with Core Solo/Core Duo/Core2Duo Mini's so you are sailing uncharted waters in my book. Good luck.

Mac Mini Intel Replacement Parts | 1-800-525-3888

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In your situation I would go ahead and try to solder the connection. Since you voided your warranty anyway, it won't do any harm to attempt to repair the BT card. If you mess it up, you're no worse off than before.

OP
S
Reaction score
Finally Repaired MacMini: Antenna BT Card

In your situation I would go ahead and try to solder the connection. Since you voided your warranty anyway, it won't do any harm to attempt to repair the BT card. If you mess it up, you're no worse off than before.

Actually, we looked under the microscope and there was nothing really to solder to...all black...sooo, Finally AMDC ADVANCED MICRO DISTRIBUTION CHANNELS got thru to Apple Parts.... and replaced the antenna and the card. Works perfect, neat job and not at all overpriced. Nicest people to deal with and they are located in NJ and NY.
I messed up and was expecting a real hosing but turned out OK. Trouble with Apple MacMini is everything is packed so tightly and very, very delicate connections (even if you're extremely careful). I have worked successfully on my macbook and other mac computers but this was very sensitive.
Anyway, all worked perfectly today and the company is A+ Apple certified in case anybody runs into a problem when performing surgery on their Mac.
Thanks to all who offered me advice....I appreciated it and I hope this will help someone someday.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting back. Glad everything worked out OK for you especially since you were not overcharged. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.