which keyboard and mouse?

Reaction score
Further to my previous posts, I have a powermac g4 with usb ports. Do I need specific Apple keyboard and mouse, or will generic ( windows) types work OK? I was going to buy a usb keyboard from my local computer store and use my usb wireless mouse with the Mac, then it occurred to me that they may not work with it. If Apple components are necessary will any do?
I've seen a keyboard for a G5, is that OK?
Answers asap please (Ebay watching....)
aljohn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Any usb keybaord and mouse will work, but if its wireless, check to see if there are any OS9 drivers, if its a wired keyboard then It'll just plug and play.

MS do IR drivers for their keyboard mouse kits I believe

OP
A
Reaction score
Cheers for that, I can pick them up from my local shop tomorrow. Stand by for loads of questions once I can turn it on....!
Aljohn

OP
A
Reaction score
Ah, the wonder of Ebay, those cheap prices.... I bought some ps2 to usb adaptors (cheap) off Ebay. Plugged the mouse and keyboard into the powermac g4 and zilch. Checked everything looked OK then tried another keyboard - my best microsoft one (you know what's coming, don't you?), Both keyboards, and probably the mouse, don't work now. Luckily the ps2 and usb ports seem OK and my win desktop is working again. But the Mac looks lonely, I presume the adaptors were faulty ? Not sure how to check without trashing anything else. I assume what I did was correct - put adaptor on ps2 lead and plug into usb port? I did think of asking my neighbour to borrow her usb keyboard, but I've lost my nerve.......
I should have bid on the apple keyboard and mouse but I didn't want to spend too much until I knew the mac was a working model......

Reaction score
the thing with the ps/2 to usb adaptors is that they work with usb 2.0 only not usb 1.1 and lower. the reason this is is that the adaptor requires more power then what a usb 1.1 and 1.0 port can provide. thats why back in the day most usb 1.0 and 1.1 devices needed 2 usb ports to be powered or they needed an external power source to work. i suspect u have a usb 1.1 port and so the ps/2 to usb adaptor wont work with the mac. what you would have to do is find a keyboard and mouse that is mac compatible just look for ones that say it works with a mac since not all usb keyboards may work with a mac

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for that, I've got so used to having usb2 that I forgot the mac was old enough to be on usb1. So it looks as though the adaptors were OK after all.... Anyway, I've now got usb mouse and keyboard and all is well with the world. I just need to get to grips with the OS and see what this machine is all about. Cheers again for all the replies.
Aljohn

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.