• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Rumor: Apple privately testing backport of Siri to iPhone 4

Reaction score
Rumor: Apple privately testing backport of Siri to iPhone 4

iphone4s-review.jpg
New rumors allege that Apple is working to port Siri back to the iPhone 4. Supposedly corroborating earlier rumors, AppAdvice claimed that Apple briefly let staff get a test build of iOS 5 with Siri on the older model that was pulled once the trial was done. The dry run supposedly went "really well," one tip maintained, supporting recent hacked installs that showed the iPhone 4 and fourth-generation iPod touch capable of handling the voice command system....

pixel
evnt

Read more

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hope this doesn't happen.
It takes away from buying a new iP4S and if it was released i could buy the cheaper iP4 and be done with it. Will be fail IMHO
Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It takes away from buying a new iP4S and if it was released i could buy the cheaper iP4 and be done with it. Will be fail IMHO
Cheers

I agree completely!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro 13" i7 8Gb , iPhone 4 , iPad 3
So what? The company will sell ANYway so many units. Why it has to be 4 or 4s? Why can't we enjoy as well the SIRI services ,as the iP can run this app and we know it. I think that they allow this. This will take Apple much higher for supporting their customers (even with older equipment)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
So what? The company will sell ANYway so many units. Why it has to be 4 or 4s? Why can't we enjoy as well the SIRI services ,as the iP can run this app and we know it. I think that they allow this. This will take Apple much higher for supporting their customers (even with older equipment)

...but it is not a very good marketing tool though is it. The point of delivering 'new features' on new products is to 'force' if that's the correct word, us to buy the new product.

If there is one thing that Apple did/has learn(ed) from SJ, it was marketing. If they trip themselves up so soon after he has gone, then Apple is on a slippery slope.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

As mentioned, the only problem is that the iPhone4S was advertised before release with Siri being one of the new main features. They said it themselves that it will only be available on the 4S.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A new product is always better and will sell. SIRI haven't got to do with hardware specs. And think that! why someone go buy a product (4s) that has problems with its battery (as iP4 got problems with its antenna when it was released) just for running Siri? And iP4 will still be on stores for months ,side by side with 4s, as a "cheaper" solution ,like what they did with 3GS ,downgrading it to 8Gb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Well...

The way I look at it is the people with the iPhone 4, who haven't upgraded to the 4s, will just wait for the iPhone 5.

People who upgraded to the 4s wanted a more capable phone, and that is what they got.

This would make a lot of the iPhone 4 customers very happy (although I'm not sure how the 4s users would feel).

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
And to think...I was enjoying thumbing my nose at those iPhone 4 users...oh well. :)

I think the battery thing might end up being much ado about nothing - I disabled the time zone service yesterday, calibrated my battery and have seen a significant increase in battery life. Of course, I only have the blackberry to compare it to - but I only used about 25% all day yesterday as opposed to 70ish% after the change.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iPhone 4s so called battery issues are NOT the phone but IOS5. That has been proven and Apple is about to release an update for IOS5 to address the issue.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Siri has already been deployed to the iPhone 4 (and 3GS) by the jailbreaking/mod community. For Apple to maintain such an artificial limitation is just silly in my view, especially if the intention is to take a bite out of Google's primary revenue stream.

I wouldn't be surprised if Siri was ported to every Apple device capable of running it by this time next year.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is it iOS 5 only the problem ,or in combination with4s? cause I have 4 and battery still lasts as usual after the update. Another future that is eating up battery though ,is "reminders". If you have set it to alarm in location it uses wifi or 3G to trace you all the time.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I don't know about the rest of you iPhone 4S users...but I didn't buy the iPhone 4S just for Siri. :p It was just one of the perks that came with the Phone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
I didn't buy the 4s, sticking with the 4 mainly because of contract issues and the same goes for my wife. If it ports ill be pumped, and so will she.

Now, for an objective view. Is it weird for apple to do it? idk.. I'm not a multi-billion corporation.. but it would lead me to ask.. will they do this in the future? With an OSX update?? and then back port it to previous hardware/software models? just hypothetical but still gets me thinking..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Yea i have to agree with Requiem, Siri just seemed like an added bonus. The 4S has a way better camera and also processing speed has increased. This is just like the 3GS and the 3G. I initially thought Siri was an iOS 5 deal which seems more logical in the long run anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Didn't Apple "backport" the wireless n connectivity to "older" MacBook Pros back in the day (2008 maybe)? Seems the previous revision of MBP hardware was capable of running n when it was released, but they released an "enabler" for $1.99 after the new revision MBP hardware had been deployed for sales. It wouldn't shock me if they went that route.

I think Apple wants the Siri technology to become ubiquitous to people - get 'em use to it, love it, talk about it, show off to their buddies, depend upon it, and get it to market everywhere ASAP. You know everyone else is going to follow, improve, innovate, etc on the Siri idea now that it's out in the wild anyhow. Apple thinks further ahead than just what will sell a +/- a few million units of a rather lackluster hardware upgrade to an existing design this fiscal year. They want market share and I doubt they'd object to people buying "used" iPhones and ditching other brands to gain that share, if all they had to do was add Siri to iOS 5.1 or whatever it is called. Getting a standardized software release built reduces time to market, code management and regression testing (ie: production and distribution cost) substantially as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
soon to be another iMac owner
Cheers

I disagree

Just don't understand how this could be a bad thing.

Reaction score
I agree that Siri is just an added bonus for ip4s. I have the ip4 and the only two reasons I would like to have had the ip4s is to have a 64gb and for the faster processor.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.