sluggish since updating to LION-really frustrating

Reaction score
My iMac bought mid 2oo7 with 2.4 duo core processor and 4gb of memory.

I did an update to Lion and ever since my Mac runs very sluggish. Its really frustrating to moving backwards it seems.

I thought there would be improvements.

I should be able to run Lion with these specs seemleesly shouldn't i?

I thought about maybe a clean install would help? But it really is a pain in the you know what.

Is that my only option or do I need a faster machine?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your 2007 iMac must be a Core 2 Duo otherwise you would not have been able to install Lion on it. And yes, a clean install will likely help. Make sure you back everything up first - use Time Machine. During the clean install, you can use your Time Machine restore to restore your apps and settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I agree with chscag that a clean install will help.
Before you installed Lion did you do a Repair Permissions via Dish Utility ?? If not bc some permissions are screwed up when Lion was installed it would of been a mess.
back up and clean install

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
I did repari permissions before install for the reason you mentioned :) clean install will be a pain

Can I go back to Snow Leopard?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I did repari permissions before install for the reason you mentioned :) clean install will be a pain

Can I go back to Snow Leopard?

Sure. Just restore from the backup you had made prior to installing Lion.

(you did make a backup, didn't you?)

OP
T
Reaction score
easy to follow guide for clean install?

I agree with chscag that a clean install will help.
Before you installed Lion did you do a Repair Permissions via Dish Utility ?? If not bc some permissions are screwed up when Lion was installed it would of been a mess.
back up and clean install

Cheers

Can anyone point me to a an easy to follow guide to do a clean install of LION?

I have finished backing up with Time Machine now.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Is that a 20" or 24" iMac? I own the 20" 2007 2.4Ghz with 4GB Ram. I did a Clean install and Lion is great here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Can we assume you did a FULL backup, not incremental backup using TM? If the full backup was done then you can wipe the drive and do the re-install of Lion from the Lion installer. After the install, you can then pull down your files from the TM backup.

Myself, I get the system up to date before I pull the files back from TM.

OP
T
Reaction score
Mmmm I am assuming a full back up via time machine.
And yes i have the 20" iMac.

I am currently downloading Lion again and going to burn the disc.

Then wipe out the hdd.

Then restore with Lion?
Then use time machine to get everything back? Will my settings etc be restored too using time machine or just files?
Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then restore with Lion?
Then use time machine to get everything back? Will my settings etc be restored too using time machine or just files?
Thanks everyone.

Yes then restore with Lion and you can use Migration Assistant to get all your settings and files/folders back.

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 2011 iMac // 12GB RAM // 1TB HDD // 6770MB 512
You can also add a Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Solid State drive as well, it speeds up performance of the 2007 20" iMac tremendously. I just installed on for someone this weekend, takes a bit of tinkering skill of course :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Grrr what have I done wrong ? I downloaded lion, grabbed the dmg file from show contents. I copied/pasted to my desktop .

I opened disk utility dragged the dmg file to the left side. Burned. Everything seemed fine.

Inserted disc.

Shutdown iMac .

Powered on. Held "c" but the Mac doesn't boot up to disk/lion.

:( what have I done wrong

Thank u

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What happened when you first inserted the disk ?? Did it bring you to the Lion Installer window? This is one way to know if the disk has been burnt properly.
Restart the Mac and see if the disk starts up and brings you too the Lion Installer window. You might have to burn it again or do as i have done and put it on a thumb drive.

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score
What happened when you first inserted the disk ?? Did it bring you to the Lion Installer window? This is one way to know if the disk has been burnt properly.
Restart the Mac and see if the disk starts up and brings you too the Lion Installer window. You might have to burn it again or do as i have done and put it on a thumb drive.

Cheers

Thanks for your prompt reply!

When I powered up and pressed C until I saw the gear. Let go of C. I continued to hear the hdd working and only saw the spinning gear. Should i leave it for 5-10 minutes for it to boot up from DVD ? If I boot up to current system I do see the DVD (Mac osx install esd) on my desktop.

Thank u

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your prompt reply!

When I powered up and pressed C until I saw the gear. Let go of C. I continued to hear the hdd working and only saw the spinning gear. Should i leave it for 5-10 minutes for it to boot up from DVD ? If I boot up to current system I do see the DVD (Mac osx install esd) on my desktop.

Thank u

No sorry for the confusion if any, but start your Mac the normal way and have OSX up and running. Eject the DVD and reinsert it and it should run and come to the Lion Installer window, and this will show that the DVD is working. Once you have done that and if it id go to the Installer window the DVD was burnt correctly and should work once with the restart holding 'c'. Or try the holding 'option' down.
Now if it didn't go to the Installer window means the DVD wasn't burnt correctly
which means you will have to burn another or put it on a thumb drive.

Hope that is explained better.

Cheers

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just hold down Command + R at power-on, it will boot to your recovery partition and allow you to do a clean install. No need for a disc or flash drive of any kind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you just hold down Command + R at power-on, it will boot to your recovery partition and allow you to do a clean install. No need for a disc or flash drive of any kind.

And there you go. I got caught up in the OP wanting to have a hard copy of the Installer. Thanks for that cwa107

Cheers

OP
T
Reaction score

.??? But I need the lion disc to do clean install?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.??? But I need the lion disc to do clean install?

No you don't. You essentially have a separate, hidden and protected install disc on your hard disk. If you hold down Command + R at startup, it will boot to that partition.

The Install_ESD.dmg file you mentioned earlier is the actual partition that is already on your HDD.

Once you boot from it, it's just like when you boot from a disc or a flash drive. You can then safely erase your system partition and proceed with the install and get a fresh install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.