Single Click instead of Double-Click?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel iMac, 2.4 GHz, C2D, 4 GB RAM, OS X 10.6.4
I'm using an Intel iMac running snow Leopard. When using Apple mail I have always been able to single click to read the e-mail. Now, I have to double-click. I have neurological impairments along with carpal tunnel syndrome. I have been doing some Google searches on this issue but so far no solutions to this problem. I am buffaloed. This double-click stuff is a PITA. By the way, I'm using a Kensington expert trackball mouse. No options for single click. I don't think the mouse has anything to do with this problem. Computers up to date with the latest software. I did rebuild Apple mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
On my MBP with the trackpad it is still a single click are you sure in your mouse settings in system preferences you can't change this .

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have gone into Preferences > Mouse, but I cannot find any option for single click. It always single clicked by default in the past. Now I have to double-click. I don't know?

Reaction score
Double-click opens a message in a new window. Have you hidden the preview pane somehow?
Single-click will show the message in the preview pane.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Double-click opens a message in a new window. Have you hidden the preview pane somehow?
Single-click will show the message in the preview pane.
It's possible. Can you explain to me where I can find the "preview pane"? I have looked but was unable to find, e.g. preview pane.

ETA: I also noticed when I double-click on a new e-mail a 2nd box appears with the sender's message. This did not happen before. WTH? Any ideas?? Also, I did a Google search for preview pane but it didn't help very much.

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Screenshots Below.

Screenshot2011-11-06at40252PM.png

Screenshot2011-11-06at40313PM.png

OP
Calistoga
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.