MB Screen goes black/dim periodically... data cable or inverter?

Reaction score
This is on a black MacBook (13-inch Late 2006) 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (Merom)

Sometimes the screen goes black/completely dim and the only way to resurrect it is to dim the screen all the way then bring it back up. Let's say the dimmer all the way down is 0 and brightest is 10. I usually have to go 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 0 1 with the dimmer keys before it actually works though.

It doesn't seem to be related to tilting the screen, although sometimes tilting the screen will cause it. Sometimes just a slight bump to the screen/computer (like putting your hand on the screen TO tilt it) will make the screen go dark.

From my searching it seems like it could be a data cable or inverter but i'm not sure. Does anyone know for sure what it is? and from where do you recommend purchasing the part?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible that it might be the inverter or the CCFT backlight tube. But it also sounds like it could be the video cable from the logic board to the display which is either loose or defective. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and take a look at their step by step procedures for taking things apart.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.