Black Ops on a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I5 Processor, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD
Hi There,
I have just bought a new Macbook Pro 2011 i5 13" 4gb intel 3000 graphics and I am trying to find the best way to run Black Ops on my new machine. Boot Camp, VMWare Fusion, Parallels or Virtual Box.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
If you are trying to run any game under Windows on the Mac your best bet is installing Windows with Bootcamp. Bootcamp partitions your HD and allows you to boot directly into Windows. This will allow full use of all hardware whereas the VM's have to run a separate operating system on top of Mac OSX. The trade off is performance over convenience since you have to shut down and boot up to switch operating systems. However, VMWare Fusion and Parallels I believe both will let you run the BootCamp partition inside of Mac OSX when you need to (say if you have to use Windows to do something but don't want to shut down). So with Bootcamp and one of the above programs you get the option for both.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will the 'Boot Camp in VMWare/Parallels' option still give the same performance as it would if I reboot into Windows? If so, what software will give the best performance?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No it won't. You would need to run Windows under a BootCamp partition for best performance. The reason I brought up using the other programs (Fusion, Parallels, and Virtual Box) is just to say that you can still use them. What they are able to do is run your BootCamp partition as a VM. VM's will always underperform as opposed to strictly running the OS itself.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Thanks. What would you reccomend as the best VM Software for performance when doing other things apart from gaming?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well since you brought it up, I read somewhere the other day about Parallels beating out VMWare in performance so I just looked it up and Ars Technica has a great article (click the article link there to go to it) comparison of the most recent versions of both programs. VirtualBox, though a good choice, great price(free), and what I currently use would probably not perform better than any of the other options.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for everything mate:) Installed XP 64 Bit on Boot Camp and it works like a dream. Gone for parallels and it still runs pretty well when virtualizing Boot Camp
Thanx

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.