Macbook Pro, trouble turning on

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro that's just over three years old. Yesterday it took a small drop onto carpetted floor, but it caused the lid to close and open again rapidly. It then seemed (judging from the sensor light at the front and the noise of the disc running) that it was in sleep mode when opened, and active when shut. When trying to restart it or turn it back on, it never progresses to the grey screen with the apple logo, just goes straight into sleep.
Any ideas? I've made an appointment at the Mac store for Monday, but if it's a simple solution that would really save my day.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's difficult to say. The drop may have damaged the hard drive or dislodged something internally. I don't think it will do any harm for you to open it up and reseat the memory modules and check to see if the hard drive is making a good connection to the SATA ribbon cable. If you're reluctant doing that, by all means let the Apple techs check it out for you. Ask for an estimate before allowing any repairs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.