If I buy an iPad 2 now, which model will hold its resale value the most?

Reaction score
I wanna get an iPad 2 but am conscious we are mid-end cycle and iPad 3 may come out in a few months. So I wanna buy iPad 2 and then sell when retina display iPad comes out.

Anyway, I've heard that 16gb ones will hold their resale value the most, not sure why, apologies if I'm just being dumb here but could someone explain if that's the case, thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, I've heard that 16gb ones will hold their resale value the most, not sure why, apologies if I'm just being dumb here but could someone explain if that's the case, thanks.

My opinion is...either the 32gig WiFi or the 32gig version with WiFi+3G.

Definitely not the 16gig WiFi version because it's the bottom of the line (least storage & no 3G)...and not the top-end 64gig WiFi or 64gig with WiFi+3G...it's just the most expensive...and will depreciate the quickest.

I mostly base this on my gut feeling, the prices I see on Craig's List, and the refurbished model prices I see at the Apple Store.

- Nick

p.s. FYI...for the iPad 1 16gig with WiFi...originally sold for $499...when it was at the Apple retail store (refurbished)...it was $349...about a 30% decrease in price.

Here's the iPad 1 64gig WiFi+3G for $499 (31% off original price):

Refurbished iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G 64GB - Black - AT&T (first generation) - Apple Store (U.S.)

Both of these models are about 30% off their original price...thus there's the question...is someone more concerned about the % depreciation loss or the "real dollars" loss?

Both are about 30% off...but:

- with the iPad 1 16gig Wifi...price decreased by about $150 bucks...with a residual value of about $350.
- with the iPad 1 64gig WiFi+3G...price decreased by $230 bucks...with a residual value of $499.

Just depends how you look at it.:)

Reaction score
Usually the 3G version of either model will hold it's value better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
A little advice: computers will never have good resale value.

A little more advice: A bit of research will tell you that Apple devices in general hold a pretty decent resale value. 3 year old MacBooks still bring a good price, while a 3 year old Dell is basically worthless.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's technology produced in the millions of unit and distributed world wide... none of them will hold much value if you keep it long enough. Buy what works best for you and enjoy it. It's an iPad, not an investment.

Reaction score
Looking at OP, it is rumored that an "updated" version of the iPad2 will come in march. iPad3 will come later in the year.

If you plan on selling your iPad2 so soon, why not by a used one?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.