Silly Question about Cache Cleaning

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I was just wondering and I know to many this may be a silly question to ask, but I'm just not sure what it does.

So what does it mean to clean the System Cache, User Cache and so on? What happens if I clean my caches. I'm always worried to do because I get a prompt that always looks threatening. Is it okay to do this? And what should I expect if I do it?

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I just need some details on it before I do it. Computers been running a bit sluggish lately so I'm doing some cleaning, maintenance. Things like that.

Any details you can provide are appreciated. :confused:

Thanks in advance. :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.4Ghz Black 4GB;iPod Touch 8GB;iPod mini 4GB silver;Logitech MX1000;
when you are surfing the browser downloads the web-pages and they are displayed, the place where it downloads and keep is called the cache, in mac os x it does something similar files you open often are kept on the ram or a easy to find place on the HD, its good to empty the cache every now and then, dont worry

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Thanks for the Info.

the_New_guy said:
when you are surfing the browser downloads the web-pages and they are displayed, the place where it downloads and keep is called the cache, in mac os x it does something similar files you open often are kept on the ram or a easy to find place on the HD, its good to empty the cache every now and then, dont worry

Great, thanks!

I always clean my browser cache with Safari and Firefox. I just wasn't sure of other caches and if it was a good idea to empty them. Good to know.

I have a neat, little utility called "MainMenu" that does some pretty cool maintenance tasks as well as other types of functions found within OSX. But with this its all one quick click right up in the "Menu Bar".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.