mac equivalent to Toshiba s

Reaction score
Hi folks.

I looked for a thread to introduce myself, so will have to do it here (have a hardware question coming up...) :)

I'm Gabrielle from the UK and am in the process of switching from PC/Blackberry to Mac/iPhone. I'll be getting the phone next month but would like to get the laptop now.

I've been reading posts on this forum for a while and it has been a wealth of information but this is my first post. I plan on writing about the switch and publishing it online so any help would be most welcome.

I currently have a trusty old Toshiba Satellite Pro A100 (Core™ Duo T2300 (1.66GHz) Windows XP Professional 15.4" TFT Widescreen 512MB memory and 60GB HDD, Bluetooth and WiFi) - I'd really like to buy an older Macbook that would offer similar specs and would give similar performance.

I use it for about 5 hours a day for browsing, streaming video, etc and it copes admirably - the only thing it struggles with is iTunes which generally kills performance on it.

If I could buy an older, maybe refurbed, Apple laptop to keep me going for a year or so, I think I would be in a much better position to invest in a new machine next year. So for the time being, as long as the Mac will do everything the old Toshiba will do then I'll be really happy, any additional performance would be a waste at the moment.

Could anyone reccomend an older Mac laptop that would give similar performance that I could look for on eBay, etc? I really do appreciate your help, I really struggle with computer specs at the best of time, let alone trying to compare PC-Mac.

Post 1 of many - hopefully I'll be able to share my experience with other newbies in the switchers forum.

xxxGabriellexxx

OP
T
Reaction score
I should say that I would also consider an ibook if you guys think it would suit my needs,

xxx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I should say that I would also consider an ibook if you guys think it would suit my needs,

xxx

It's really hard to compare Windows computers to Macintosh computers. I would say getting almost any Intel core 2 duo MacBook would fit your needs.

I would definitely say DON'T get an iBook. The "youngest" ones are now about 5-6 years old...but more importantly they DON'T have an Intel cpu...which means you cannot run the latest Mac OS.

iBooks (at best) can only run up to Mac OS 10.5 almost 2.5 years old & discontinued now). A MacBook with a Core 2 Duo cpu can run all the way up to the most current Mac OS...which is Mac OS 10.7.2 "Lion".

HTH,

- Nick

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Agree with Nick.

But am not certain I really understand what you are looking for. If you are looking for a MacBook that won't out perform your current laptop, it may be a little tricky.
As Nick indicated, you really can't directly compare because of the OS and software differences, but any of the early Intel MacBooks ought to meet or exceed spec wise your Toshiba.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would look at Apple refurbs they carry the same warranty.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
You are looking at second hand right?

Check out ebay but as pigoo says, avoid the iBook or any mac with a G4 processor, they were good in the day but are before Apple switched to Intel CPUs so are machines that are relatively slow and impossible to upgrade to the newest versions of OSX

The aluminium or white macBooks are great little macs (I own one) but try and get one with an Intel Core2Duo or better processor, not the Intel Core Duo - the 2 might not seem like much but it matters.

What's your budget, since some of the INtel MacBook Pros might also fall within your budget, or depending on the budget even a as new model from Apple's rerfurb store.

OP
T
Reaction score
Wow - thank you for such quick replies :)

Yes - definately second hand. I have looked at the apple refurbs (I think thats probably the direction I'll go in next year when needs are more clear and when finances are a little more flexible).

SOrry if I was a little confusing in what I'm looking for - I need performance to be at least the same as the PC I have now - saying anything extra would be a waste was an odd way of phrasing it, what I mean is that i wouldn't want to pay for extra performance above and beyond the toshiba just at the moment (but if it came for free then that would be great :) )

No iBook definately narrows it down a bit - as I understand it the earliest Macbooks came out in 2006 so am I right in thinking that any Macbook or Macbook pro from v1.1 onwards would outperform my exiting laptop?

If that is the case then I can just find the best deal I can.

I'll definately be looking on eBay or similar.

In terms of budget, I'd like to spend the minimum amount possible as this will only be a temporary computer - they seem to be starting at about £300, buy-it-now on eBay (obviously there may be opportunities to get them cheaper thru auctions) - this is a link to the search results after I filtered out all the spares-or-repairs. Refurbished units seem to start at £500 which feels a bit much for one refurbished by an unknown company - may be better to buy a used one for £300.

Uh ow - my head's spinning now :[

Am I right in thinking that any of these would do the job

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Something to watch out for is we see a LOT of people with problems where they have bought used and subsequently need the OS disks only to find that they bought their Mac without, or the vendor tossed into the deal OS disks that weren't valid for their Mac, and therefor useless.

What to look for:
1) Gray OS disks - these are machine specific which means they must be the exact same model as yours. And that doesn't mean simply because they came from a MacBook and that's what you have they will work. Must be the same model number
2) Black OS disks - these are retail and should install without issue providing they aren't older than your Mac (on the Intel Mac if it is a Leopard OS X 10.5 disk probably OK given your budget)
3) White OS disks - these will be Snow Leopard retail disks and will install without issue on any Intel Mac.

FWIW if you purchase it without OS disks you can pick up Snow Leopard retail direct from Apple for $29 US (don't know what it cost in UK)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.