Vertical Blue Line on G5 screen

Reaction score
I have a vertical light blue line, perhaps a pixel or two wide in the middle of my computer screen at all times (except when off, of course). It just appeared.

My G5 is about 5 years old. Is this fixable by me? Is it worth fixing? Is it a harbinger of worse things to come.

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can check to see if it's your graphics card or the monitor which has the problem. Do this:

Take a screenshot of your desktop. View the screenshot; if the blue vertical line shows up on the screenshot it's your graphics card which is at fault. If no blue vertical shows up, then it's the monitor which is at fault.

Let us know and we can go from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the 'newest' G5 is now over six years old, being the Late 2005 model. What type of graphics card is fitted, PCI-E or even earlier AGP?

Do not think either much of an option and the cost may well be put to the purchase of an Intel machine. You can always sell the G5 for parts. Even the bare cases bring about $50.00.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks so much for answer CHSCAG .... and pardon my ignorance ... but how does one take a "screenshot"? Much appreciated. (BTW, what plane is that exhibited by your name? My dad was a WWII navigator on B-26C Marauder. Looks similar, but too small to tell in your photo.) Thanks.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thank you, too, Harryb2448. Too answer your question I cloned the following info ...
ATI Radeon X600 Pro:

Chipset Model: ATY,RV370
Type: Display
Bus: PCI
Slot: PCI-E
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x5b62
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-113
Displays:
iMac:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Depth: 32-bit Color
Built-In: Yes
Core Image: Supported
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Quartz Extreme: Supported

Thanks for your recommendations, too. Maybe a reboot from original discs may help?

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Taking a screenshot is easy. Take a look here and choose: LINK

The aircraft is indeed a B-26 but it's the later model post WWII. It's a Douglas B-26D Invader which saw service during the Korean and Viet Nam wars. I was assigned to one as a crew chief back in my Air Force days.

OP
P
Reaction score
BRILLIANT, Chascag ! Screenshot shown NO blue line in result, meaning it's the monitor that is at fault. Is it worth fixing? With it get progressively worse or in some way diminish the functionality of the computer?
Thanks so much for your help.

Re B26D ... thanks so much for your service to the country. We owe you.

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a suggestion it is not worth spending big bucks on displays. Apple LCD can be very expensive if the problem is with the backlight. Top manufacturers such as BenQ, Samsung, Dell etc all have displays at less that $200.00.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.