Startup disk for OS X 10.7.2

Reaction score
When I bought my Macbook Pro, it had Snow Leopard installed. I have since installed LION. I now find that due to problems on my hard drive, I need to start the MacBook from an external disk, and run disk utility to repair the disk.

I've never done this, but before I try, will it cause problems if I start the machine from my Snow Leopard CD? Do I do this just by having the CD in the CD/DVD drive at startup? How do I run Disk repair from the startup disk?

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks,

Geoffuren
:Oops:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've never done this, but before I try, will it cause problems if I start the machine from my Snow Leopard CD? Do I do this just by having the CD in the CD/DVD drive at startup? How do I run Disk repair from the startup disk

You can most definitely can start/boot your MacBook Pro from the original Snow Leopard grey/silver disks that you got with it.

But...since OS 10.7 "Lion" is installed on your hard drive...and the version of Disk Utility that came with Lion may be different than the version of Disk Utility that is on your Snow Leopard disk...there is the small possibility that there could be issues (using a possibly older version of Disk Utility to repair a disk with a newer OS version on it).

There is also the possibility of no issues.

The best solution would be to use a "bootable" 10.7 Lion disk to boot your computer from to do the hard drive repairs. The "bootable" Lion disk could have or should have been made when Lion was first installed:

How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive | Macworld

If you didn't make a "bootable" Lion disk...you probably need to "re-download" the Lion installer (this should not cost any additional $$$)...just log into the Mac App Store...and you should be able to re-download Lion for free.

HTH,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.