printer for mac mini

Reaction score
i am seriously considering getting a mac mini. the reasons for doing that over an imac is because i have invested in a 17" lcd monitor this year and feel that it may become redundant if i get the latter.
2 months ago i went ahead and got myself a 12" ibook and had it on a wireless network with my winxp desktop. i found out that i could not print to my xerox phaser 3121 printer which is hooked up to my windows machine via a usb 1.0 port. some guys on another forum did some researh and came to the conclusion that this particular printer just doesn't do mac! if i discard my winxp machine totally for the mac mini, will that make my printer redundant as well? if possible i plan to hook up my printer to one of the 2 usb ports on the mini. is there a workaround for my printer problem?

B

Biturbo V12 AMG

First of all will the printer print when connected to your Ibook? and second how old is this printer. maybe it is time to invest in a new printer. if you want to use your Mac Mini to print stuff for your ibook first check and see if it works connected to your ibook if it does then it will work wirelessly with your mini. if that does work look up your printer and find what print software they offer. most likley they will have a software version for OS9 in that case install OS9 classic on your Mini(it comes with a CD) then when you print it will use the OS9 software. that is how i use my very old HP scanner that they no longer make software drivers for. Depending on what you need you can get a really nice printer for around 150$ i personally got a 200$ laser printer but its black and white only but thats all i print is papers for school and it works great. I have my laser printer connected to the Mac mini and 2 powerbooks print off it wirelessly.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Well a quick google search found a Fuji Xerox Phaser 3121 driver for OS X 10.4 but the page was in Japanese so I couldn't read it. (at least I assume it is a driver)

http://www.xxc.idv.tw/mt/archives/steffi_yy/002512.html

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try it.

Amen-Moses

Edited to say that that is probably Taiwanese or Chinese rather than Japanese judging by the country code.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Just for giggles I downloaded that driver and indeed it is a OSX printer driver for Samsung printers. I'm wondering if that page when translated says something to the effect that you can use that driver for the Xerox Phaser.

Amen-Moses

PS: Feeding the last few lines of that page into babelfish (simple Chinese->English) gives:

At present □□success, □is similar to above BBS □the friend □, the Samsung ML-1740 MAC edition □□formula, may □use in Fuji Xerox Phaser above 3121, □

Looks promising methinks.

OP
hellfried
Reaction score
cool thanks. yet to find the time to hop over to my local apple store to make the purchase. perhaps tomorrow......

Reaction score
I installed Xerox Phaser 3121 today on Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.8 and it worked. Thanks for the post about Samsung driver. I downloaded 20040714091107375_SPL2.dmg, marked Phaser 3121 as Samsung ML-1740 and it correctly printed out test document.

Hope this was clear and helpful.

Reaction score
Phaser 3121

I installed samsung´s driver and i choosen 1740. Everything all right.
Thank you, very much.
Sorry for my English

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.