iMac dual monitor issues

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 27" iMac and I want to connect an old 22" monitor. I will use the second monitor just for text applications so I do not need great resolution.
It only has a VGA connector so I am using a mini-display port to VGA.
I am using a resolution for this monitor of 1600x1200, but the image is stretched and the monitor keeps opening a pop up saying that I should use 1680x1050 resolution. This resolution however is not available as an option in the Mac os x Lion system settings (it jumps from 1600x1200 to 1920 x 1080).
Any ideas how to fix this? the adaptor is not original. Could that be an issue?

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem you're running into is that your iMac is not detecting the correct native resolution for the 22" monitor. This could be because of the monitor's firmware or maybe the adapter. You can try another adapter but that too may not work.

With older monitors, it's hit and miss as far as firmware and detecting the correct native resolution goes. You may have to purchase third party software to get the correct resolution to display. SwitchResX may work for you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.