Airport Extreme making new IP addresses everytime

Reaction score
My Airport Extreme A1301 MB763AM/A is sending a new IP address to my provider everytime a new Ipod,Macbook,Iphone etc is connecting, is there a setting on wireless router that will send only one consistant IP address back to the server?
Much appreciated

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
?????

It is not sending any IP addresses back to your ISP. Your external network will have only one IP that is being used outside of your local network on the internet and that IP is set by your ISP. If that IP changes, it changes because your ISP changed it - you cannot change it nor can any of your devices.

Your internal network - the one set up by your router - the Airport Extreme - will set up a different IP for every single device that's connected to it. That IP is how it "routes" - get it? route / router - the information received from the internet back to the device that asked for it.

And the router does not send those local IPs back to the ISP. Those are meaningless to the ISP. The only IP it knows is the one that it has provided to your modem.

No individual IP on your local network for each device - then no connection to the internet for each device. It'd be a "homeless" device. No way to get mail, no one would know how to get any info to it...

OP
P
Reaction score
My network provider is sending me back a registration request every time I'm
accessing the network on a different device. It has happened with the Ipods, the Macbook Pro, even my ethernet connected Mac G4? Once it's done, it seems to be sticking on the device though!
I fill in my DHCP ID, and cannel out the showing request and stick with the previous id?
Never seen this befor eand the tech dude at the network couldn't figure out why it's doing that as well. Never did this with my old D-Link?
Much Appreciated

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like you have the AE directly connected to the incoming line from your ISP rather than to the modem - which should be supplied by the ISP.

OP
P
Reaction score
I've got a OvisLink ADL Modem from my provider and then the ethernet out of that to the Apple Extreme!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you opened up Airport Utility and run through the set up for the AE?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
We used to get this when we had a provider that asked us to pay an additional fee for each device that was connected. You have to make sure that whatever you are using as the router, in this case the AE, is actually set to behave as a router. Running through setup again carefully as suggested should fix the problem.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi guys, I found this article, how to I go about doing this, it would appear to be the exact problem and the solution

Apparently, the Apple engineers who implemented the DHCP reservation feature in the new (draft) 802.11n Airport Extreme base station are fans of this episode.

Features like port mapping make it necessary for a computer behind a home router to have a static IP address rather than one that is randomly assigned by a DHCP server. The older Airport base stations didn't support this, which meant manual configuration hassles. But the new one allows the user to set up DHCP reservations, so that the same computer always gets the same IP address from the built-in DHCP server.

The reservation part works fine: whenever the computer in question requests an address, it gets the reserved one. However, just like the car rental agent in the Seinfeld episode, the Airport Extreme doesn't hold reservations. So it's possible for another computer to get the reserved address first. In this case, it's possible for two computers to get the same IP address, which leaves the second (or possibly both) without working connectivity.

The workaround is simple: just make sure the reserved address is either below the DHCP beginning address or above the DHCP ending address. The obvious choice is the latter: the addresses ending in 201 to 254 fall within the address block served by the Airport Extreme, but outside the range of addresses that DHCP gives out without a reservation. The Airport Utility lets you use the address 1, even though that won't work because it's the address of the Airport Extreme itself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.