Default settings for a 3G

Reaction score
Hello, i'm not a frequent user of mac, but a friend of mine has given to me an old 3G ( something like this:
http://www.pcusati.it/immagini/imgan/2011/384/317_1.jpg
with autologin, but he has forgot the password.

I'd like to perform a factory default settings, to erase his personal datas, accounts and so on... without reinstall or format everything.
Is it possible? i didn't find nothing in the web...

Thank you in advance

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of the Mac OS is it running and did he give you any disks with the machine? BTW, that's a nice looking iMac. And it's a "G3" not a 3G.

OP
O
Reaction score
ops, my fault: G3 :p
well, no disk in the machine, and the only the cd reader is not working.
The version is Mac OS X 10.3.9 Build 7W98

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In order to get the G3 back to factory default you would have to do a reinstall of the original OS. That means erasing the hard drive, reformat, and reinstall. And for that, you need the original disks that came with the machine.

OS X 10.3.9 is Panther. You may be able to find a copy on eBay, however, you need to either purchase the exact version for your machine (hard to find) or a retail version. The retail version will probably be easier to locate on eBay.

I'm not sure how much it will cost but make sure that it is indeed a retail version or it won't work. You might also be able to install Tiger on that machine. (OS X 10.4.X) But again it will have to be a retail version.

OP
O
Reaction score
ok, so i don't want to spend money, is it possible and/or legal to put a new hard disk, while i wait if the owner find the old password, and put another operative system?
If yes, there are online tutorials or something similar? actually i'm not able neither to make start a live-USB version...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Putting in another hard drive with a different operating system is not going to work as Macs need a version of OS X specific for the hardware. Or a retail version of OS X which includes all the hardware drivers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.