Setup FTP or AFP server

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro(10.7.2) - PowerMac G5(10.5.8) - iPhone(iOS 5)
Hey guys, I'm not sure if I'm calling this the right thing so I'll just spell out exactly how I'm wanting this to work. I co-own a small creative production company. My business partner and I are in different states, but we often share files. If they're small we just send over iChat, and if they're big we upload them to Amazon's S3 service(really great, btw). But, here's the thing, I've got an older G5(single 1.8) sitting in my closet. It runs great and I'd like to use it as a way for us to share bigger stuff(and as an archive/backup) since I can stuff it full of drives for cheap. Best case scenario is that he would be able to mount it as a network drive via Finder's connect to server command. At the moment I've got my home network setup like this. From what I know I can use DynDNS free to give him access to the G5 from the outside world. Also, the G5 has two ethernet ports in it. One is built in and the other is in a PCI slot. Do I set this up as an FTP server? Or AFP? Or what? I'm a bit lost at the moment and I don't want to mess it all up. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! --- EDIT: The G5 is running 10.5.8. The router is a Cisco DPC2325 cable modem/router. We will be accessing the G5 from macbook pros running Lion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
I would set it up as an FTP file server. DynDNS provides a name that you can remember instead of your ip address. What it can also do is update and redirect the DynDNS name to your ip address when the ip changes (which is the case if you have a dynamic ip which most people do) Read up on DynDNS on how to install the updater on the G5 Mac OS X Update Client - Dyn Inside of your home network I would think you should already be able to see files on the G5 when looking at the shared part of your Finder on the other Macs. As for setting up FTP on your G5, here is a good article explaining that as well as DynDNS. How to Turn Your Mac Into an FTP Server | Macinstruct

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Awesome, thanks for the links! I'll read up on all of that. The local network is setup and it works well. No problems there. I'm just a little confused on how to setup this G5 so my biz partner can access it. I don't want it to be too vulnerable, or give unwanted access to my other machines.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure exactly how it works with FTP in Leopard but usually with most servers you have to set up designated users with specific passwords and allow certain types of access (read only, read/write etc) Which I'm guessing is similar in Leopard (never used it). But someone would need to know your current ip address and/or your dyndns address as well as the user name and password so usually not an issue. You can also add in an extra layer of security by making sure when he does connect its using a secure shell or basically whatever FTP client he uses will connect using SFTP or FTPs which will encrypt the files on transfer. Also would want to make sure that is possible to have those connects received in Leopard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
I would recommend PureFTPD versus using the native FTP services in OS X.

Mainly because there is more granularity in its configuration as well as the use of virtual users which are not OS X users allowing you to further secure the environment.

PureFTPd Manager for Mac OS X

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow. That's an awesome (and free) solution MacsWork. I would definitely agree using a FTP server software so you don't have to create actual users on the G5 is the way to to but I wasn't sure if the OP wanted to use native Leopard utilities or another program. PureFTPd is the way to go though. Good advice.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet! Thanks guys. Downloading now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Glad to help.

I don't have the need for an FTP server but did some consulting for a client and we implemented this for them and it has severed their purpose for a while now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.