burning Windows 7 to a disk

Reaction score
I have the capability to download a ligament copy of windows 7, from what I understand I cannot bootcamp widows 7 from a USB so i guess my option is to burn it to a CD,

If i did burn windows 7 to CD would I be able to bootcamp using that CD?

If I burned to disk could I burn it on my MBP or would I have to do it on a Windows computer?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
You can burn the iso file onto a DVD and use it to install Windows on a Mac with Bootcamp. Disk Utility can burn any image or files you want to CD/DVD so you won't need to use a Windows computer to burn the disk image. Here's an article for that Mac Tip: How to burn an .iso or .dmg file to disc... and on further review I just found this on the manual for bootcamp for Lion. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_10.7.pdf

"You may be able to install Windows 7 with a USB flash drive that contains a Windows 7 ISO
image downloaded from Microsoft. To check whether you can do so, open Boot Camp
Assistant, click Continue, and see if the option “Create a Windows 7 install disk” is available.
To install Windows 7 with a USB flash drive, you need the following:
1. An ISO image of Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate downloaded
from Microsoft.
2. A USB flash drive with 4 GB or more.
Boot Camp Assistant erases the flash drive, and copies to it the Windows 7 ISO
image and software drivers that let Windows work with your Mac hardware
To see how much free space you need on your disk for Windows, refer to the
documentation that came with Windows.

Reaction score
"You may be able to install Windows 7 with a USB flash drive that contains a Windows 7 ISO
image downloaded from Microsoft. To check whether you can do so, open Boot Camp
Assistant, click Continue, and see if the option “Create a Windows 7 install disk” is available.

To install Windows 7 with a USB flash drive, you need the following:
1. An ISO image of Windows 7 Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate downloaded
from Microsoft.
2. A USB flash drive with 4 GB or more.
Boot Camp Assistant erases the flash drive, and copies to it the Windows 7 ISO
image and software drivers that let Windows work with your Mac hardware
To see how much free space you need on your disk for Windows, refer to the
documentation that came with Windows.

Hello,

What would be the reason(s) that the option:

“Create a Windows 7 install disk” is available." - might be "grayed out" (unable to select)..?

Do you need to put DVD with the ISO in the drive, before launching Boot Camp Assistant, for it to recognize that you do in fact, have the ISO available to use?

Also, seems like you'd need a USB drive connected to the computer too?

What are your thoughts? (I would like to have Mac OS-X, via Boot Camp make the bootable Windows 7 installation USB drive.

Thanks!

Ed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Follow the link in my previous post and the PDF for the full BootCamp installation guide should answer your questions.

Reaction score
Partition via Ext HD

I have the windows 7 ISO on an external hard drive ( 500GB ) and the windows 7 box was tickable, and it let my download the support files, but then asked for a CD... i'll probably just burn one, but this still doesn't seem to make any sense ^ :/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.