Photo Stream (via iCloud)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
So, I have the iPhone 4 S and have been using it to take pictures. The only viable way to get pics off (to my knowledge) is to email them to myself. Then it clicked, I have iCloud and Photo Stream is turned on. So I go to iPhoto and there is no Photo Stream option. I am running Lion, and unless Lion came with iLife 2011 (which I don't think it did), I am using the previous version of iPhoto. Is this the reason why can't use Photo stream?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Yea if you are using iLife 09 then it wont' work, it needs to be the most recent version of iPhoto '11.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Crap. I really don't want to buy an upgrade, but for the next two years I'd like to have my pictures ect. directly on my computer without doing anything. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, Photo Stream alone is worth it. You can even set it up to where they automatically import into iPhoto (they get stored as monthly photo stream events with this enabled)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I actually think photo stream is pretty useless right now since most people still connect their iPhones to their computers to sync. It would really enjoy it if they gave me the option to manually remove photos from the folder, instead of going through the hassle of turning off photo stream, which also deletes everything on there. I can't imagine there not being an update for this feature.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Actually PhotoStream is great - and very useful. I've been using it every day. I do want more control over it though - and then it will be an excellent feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like it. It's backing up your last 1000 photos and simultaneously keeping any device logged into iCloud with that Apple ID synced with photos that you've taken. The reason iTunes syncing is nowhere near this Photo Stream is done via Wifi at any location so you can be outside your home network taking pictures that will already be there when you get back, plus if they are there and you lose your phone at least they have been transferred to other devices at that point without you having to do anything. Would be nice to delete pictures out of Photo Stream that you don't want, hopefully that will be a feature soon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I like it. It's backing up your last 1000 photos and simultaneously keeping any device logged into iCloud with that Apple ID synced with photos that you've taken. The reason iTunes syncing is nowhere near this Photo Stream is done via Wifi at any location so you can be outside your home network taking pictures that will already be there when you get back, plus if they are there and you lose your phone at least they have been transferred to other devices at that point without you having to do anything. Would be nice to delete pictures out of Photo Stream that you don't want, hopefully that will be a feature soon.

Well you can delete them it's just a pain. You have to delete the photo's off your device and then reset Photostream via your iCloud account but this deletes all the photos and not individuals.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the new iLife. I'm waiting on Amazon to ship it now. I'm pumped!

Reaction score
So, I have the iPhone 4 S and have been using it to take pictures. The only viable way to get pics off (to my knowledge) is to email them to myself.

Well, as they say, there's an app for that! I use PhotoSync for pics and video. Works via WiFi to transfer between iDevices and computer. Very easy to transfer single or multiple photos/videos.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've already bought iLife '11 (Family pack) and the salesmen in me gave both of brothers a copy for a small fee. So it was basically free for me.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
One overlooked way to remove photos from your iPhone is to open Preview and click import from iPhone under the File menu. That's an easy way to do it that I often use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.