Please help need advice on repairing macbook pro following liquid spillage

Reaction score
Hello Mac Forums, I'm new and would really appreciate any help.
About a month ago a drink was spilled on my keyboard of my mac pro 15inch unibody 2010 *year*

The keyboard completely jammed up but after plugging in an external keyboard it worked fine.

I had it cleaned by a friend. First he started with a few keys and then decided to go through the back of the machine straight to the keyboard and keys. After cleaning we re-assembled and turned it on without the external keyboard. It booted to password and automatically entered lots of dots! Deleting the dots or password didn't work but hitting return key registered as incorrect password and the password box was clear.

I entered from the mac pro's keyboard and it worked!!

Unfortunately some keys still remain broken and now the keyboard lights are only lit down the centre of the keyboard!??

the keys s, n, x, shift, tab, F2, and pretty much the left side where the drink was spilled don't function. Delete however does work but just not on the password start-up?? Wierd?!

Would purchasing a Top case and keyboard fix my problem or is the problem something else??

Until then I am stuck using an external keyboard which really sucks!

Thanks for any help! :Blushing:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless your friend was absolutely able to get all the spill cleaned up - it may give you problems later on. When something is spilled on the keyboard it usually leaks on down to the logic board and depending on what type of liquid (water, juice, coffee, etc.) it was, it may leave corrosive residue.

Anyway, you can certainly try a new top case and keyboard. If there was nothing else damaged by the spill it should work.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply, I might try the top-case and keyboard but it's going to be quite pricey so may have to wait. I just hope when I do replace it that it does the trick or I'm left with the same problem. I guess I could sell my mac pro on ebay explaining the issue and buy a new mac pro with the proceeds :-D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I would just buy the keyboard and not the top case. If it turns out it doesn't work, then post it on eBay as you stated and sell it as not working because of spill damage. Use what you get from the sale to buy a new MBP.

You might want to do that before buying the keyboard.... as I stated above in my first reply, other things can pop up in the future because of the spill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sometimes logic board problems will takes weeks and weeks to emerge. As stated, beer, tea, coffee and soda the worst as they can be either very acidic or tacky.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.