Issues with OS X Lion and Virtual Box with Windows 7

Reaction score
Hi
Here I am at the end of a very frustrating week...
I have started a course that requires me to post my assessments by putting my answers on a CD - which is PC (Windows) only.
So...
After abortive attempts all week I finally got Windows 7 running using Oracle's Virtual Box App.
All went well to start with - the CD opened in the Guest OS and I was able to post my first module.
On attempt number 2 however the CD kept appearing on my Mac desktop and would not open in the Windows 7 Guest OS.
To my knowledge I have not changed any settings in between those times, so I am at a complete loss as to what to do.
Has anyone out there encountered this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
Make sure on the CD/DVD drive settings that you have Pass-Through enabled or it wont load the CD/DVD in the VM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open the VirtualBox Manager and select the VM that you want to change settings for. In the right hand side there are boxes with different information. Click the one that says storage and it will open the drive list. Click on the drive type (IDE) or the empty CD/DVD drive itself (I forget which one) and then the option for Pass-Through will be a check box in one of them.

OP
D
Reaction score
It may be me, but I can't see it - is there any way of posting a screen shot on this forum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok that is where you need to be but I just got out my MBP to check and you need to actually add the host drive where the empty one is first. So delete the empty one and then highlight the IDE controller and click the cd with the green + button to add the Host CD/DVD drive. Once it shows up as the CD/DVD host drive instead of empty you'll have an option to click on Pass-Through. Here's a screenshot.

Screen Shot 2011-11-04 at 2.30.44 PM.png

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi
I am at this stage so far - not sure where I should be picking the host drive from though
?

Screen Shot 2011-11-04 at 19.55.24.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok it's been a while since I've set up my VM but I think I know now. (Also this is coming from the top of my head. VirtualBox has great documentation/tutorial btw). Select and leave empty then you will see on the right hand side a cd icon next to where it allows you to select the ID master/slave drive. Click that CD button and hopefully there is where they CD/DVD drive will show up.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks so much for that - I have got it running at last!

Have a great weekend - I shall now crack open a celebratory tin of beer!

:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problem. Glad you got it working. Beer does sound pretty good about now ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.