Problem with Word

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm using OS 10.6.8, and Microsoft Word for Mac (v)2004. Somehow, the formatting palette is now something I click on in the toolbar that then opens as a vertical box instead of being a separate horizontal toolbar like I'm used to seeing in Word 2004. I know there must be a way to get the toolbar back. I seem to recall having to do this once before, but just can't figure it out.
Any suggestions appreciated. Amy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've moved your post here to this forum as it really does not belong in our "Switcher" forum.

As to your question.... I'm not familiar with Word 2004 having only used Word 2008 and now Word 2011. However, I believe the toolbars act the same way as in 2004. If you click on "View" at the top of the main menus, you should have a selection for "Toolbars". Make sure the Standard and Formatting toolbars are selected. (That is if I'm understanding your question...)

Also it's possible that your toolbar was dragged off the top of the main menu area to the side. If that happened, just drag it back in place. Finally, if you can't get it to work, just move your "normal.dotm" template to the desktop and Word will create another upon opening. The template is located here:

/Users/you/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/normal.dotm

OP
A
Reaction score
WORD issue

I tried to post this earlier, but can't find it and so am trying again. I'm new to the forums, by the way.

I'm using WORD 2004. Am on a new (but used) iMac. OS 10.6.8. My Microsoft Office program was installed on this computer, so this version is what I'm used to using. For some reason, the Formatting Palette (the one with font selection, size, paragraph alignment, etc) is no longer presenting as a horizontal toolbar that fits under the primary toolbar. Instead, it's a vertical box that I can move around. I want to get it back to the toolbar rather than tool"box" and can't for the life of me figure out how to do it. I've been googling about it, but to no avail. And that's why I joined Mac Forums this a.m. Any help will be greatly appreciated! -AmyGinger

P.S. And by the way, what is a "trackback"? And will I be notified of any replies to the above question or will I just need to keep checking the forums?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I will see how that all plays out. Other question: how would I have known where to post this type of question? Games and Apps seems strange to me. Thank you.

OP
A
Reaction score
Hooray! The VIEW button showed me that the formatting toolbar was unclicked. The simplest things can be the most baffling sometimes. Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Glad to have helped. :)

Your question was about MS Word which is an OS X application and that fits in with our "OS X Apps and Games" forum. It's sometimes confusing for our new members to find the right forum but if you read the forum description first, it will usually become apparent where your question belongs.

Anyway, have fun and visit us often.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I've merged your duplicate thread back into this one. Looks like your problem has been solved.

OP
A
Reaction score
Nice people

It's been delightful to have really nice folks to reply to my issues. I admire that. Be well and prosper!

OK. Glad to have helped. :)

Your question was about MS Word which is an OS X application and that fits in with our "OS X Apps and Games" forum. It's sometimes confusing for our new members to find the right forum but if you read the forum description first, it will usually become apparent where your question belongs.

Anyway, have fun and visit us often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.