Is it possible to check if an iPhone has been jailbroken in the past?

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

My girlfriend is looking to buy a used iPhone 4 (around a month old). I was wondering if there's a way to see if the iPhone has been jailbroken in the past. Obviously, if it had been, the previous owner could have restored iOS but I'm asking this from a warranty point of view. If she's buying an iPhone with around 11 months warranty I'd like to make sure that it's not void right from the start because of something a previous owner did. I wouldn't really have been that worried about this in the past but the used iPhone 4 market is a bit of a minefield and we've been let down/disappointed a few times because we've found out the owner was selling a jailbroken iPhone.

Anyway, thanks in advance. As always, it's much appreciated! :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Jailbreaking doesn't affect warrant..so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Doing a restore to an official Apple image will bring it back, so no worries. I purchased my iPhone 3G off eBay and it was jailbroken when I got it with a ton of extra stuff..I simply plugged it into iTunes and had it restore and went on, no issues at all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Jailbreaking doesn't affect warrant..so you wouldn't have to worry about it. Doing a restore to an official Apple image will bring it back, so no worries. I purchased my iPhone 3G off eBay and it was jailbroken when I got it with a ton of extra stuff..I simply plugged it into iTunes and had it restore and went on, no issues at all..

This is not really correct. If one bricks their phone because of something done during a Jailbreak, it does technically void the warranty. They are under no obligation to fix something that went awry due to said jailbreak. Said "warranty" has no provisions for jailbreaking, and never will.

Furthermore, yes.. it is possible to tell if a phone was jailbroken (by a Genius) despite a factory restore.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.