Logic board questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Hello everyone. I have been doing a much research as I can lately on how I will be able to upgrade the Intel Core Duo MacBook I will be picking up this saturday. I know that because of the processor i can't run Lion on it so I thought I could possibly upgrade the logic board to one with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor on it. I figured this would be possible but just wanted to confirm this with you guys. Also would it be possible to install a logic board with an i5 or i7 processor on it? I know it would be easier to buy a new computer but I could probably find a broken mac on craigslist really cheap with a functional logic board. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Most likely not possible. The chassis, as I recall, changed considerably with the processor changes.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2012 15" MBP 2.6GHz i7, Late-2011 13" MBP 2.4 GHz i5, Early-2008 Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Xeon
Yeah, the i5 and i7 would have been a stretch. However the Core 2 Duo was featured (if I'm not mistaken) the same chassis, (13" white mac book) so I would assume that a swap between the Core Duo and 2 Duo would be easily accomplished.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello everyone. I have been doing a much research as I can lately on how I will be able to upgrade the Intel Core Duo MacBook I will be picking up this saturday. I know that because of the processor i can't run Lion on it so I thought I could possibly upgrade the logic board to one with the Intel Core 2 Duo processor on it. I figured this would be possible but just wanted to confirm this with you guys.

Maybe...but wouldn't it just be easier to purchase a MacBook model that already has a core 2 duo processor? I think that you'll find the cost of a MacBook logic board with a core 2 duo processor will cost more than you may think.

Also would it be possible to install a logic board with an i5 or i7 processor on it? I know it would be easier to buy a new computer but I could probably find a broken mac on craigslist really cheap with a functional logic board. Thanks.

I doubt it...why? Because Apple never released a MacBook with an i5 or i7 cpu. So a logic board with one of these cpu's probably wouldn't fit.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Well, let us know how it turns out.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, will do. before I do this though I'm gonna do a little bit more research to make sure I don't just completely waste my money on a useless logic board.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Okay, will do. before I do this though I'm gonna do a little bit more research to make sure I don't just completely waste my money on a useless logic board.

Great idea!:)

Many of the early MacBook models were very similar...and probably share a lot of common parts. But you never know with the little things...like different wiring connections, more efficient designs/layout, or different ports.

Usually the best bet is for maximum compatibility (if you have a core duo MacBook)...is to find a logic board from the earliest core 2 duo MacBook.

Back to pricing. Here are a couple logic boards on e-Bay:

13" MacBook Late 2006 A1181 2 GHz Logic Board 661-4395 | eBay
13" Mid 2007 MacBook A1181 2.0GHz Logic Board MB061LL | eBay

One for $169 and one for $280. If you think that you're going to pick up a MacBook core 2 duo logic board for something like $20 bucks...forgetaboutit!;)

I'm not trying to discourage you from pursuing this project. But upgrading Mac's just isn't the same as upgrading Windows computers where the prices of parts are "dirt cheap". Mac parts are expensive...and in many cases it's just cheaper to purchase the computer you want/need...rather than trying to upgrade an older model.

Good luck,

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yea, finding this computer in the first place was pure luck so i'm just happy to get it. If I do a logic board swap I'm gonna try to see if i can find someone parting out/ selling a broken macbook for less than it's worth. It's a longshot but as I won't NEED a Core Duo 2 for a while I'm in no rush. So I'll either wait to find a cheap one or if I get some money at christmas i'll put that towards one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.