apple tv and iTunes

Reaction score
Any ideas why, when I play iTunes through Apple tv, it loses the signal after about 15 minutes (although this varies from c9 to c20 minutes)?
It keeps telling me to turn home share on. It is on! It seems the only way to reactivate it is to come to the computer, turn Home Share off, then turn it back on again.
Whilst this happens all other functions on the Apple tv work normally (e.g. YouTube, Movie selection, all the other bits and pieces not included in the 'computer' option).
My download speed is only about 1.8mbs (until we get our 'rural upgrade'!!)

Thanks for any advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Where is iTunes 'housed' - a Mac? a PC? Macs are normally OK allowing access via Home Sharing when asleep. When PCs sleep they often cut off network access. It could be this sleep cycle thats interupting the connection.

It's definately the network in your home that's the issue one way or the other. All the other things you describe are internet based and they all work.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for your interest.
iTunes is in my (newish!) iMac. Apple tv is not asleep - the light is on and everything else functions.
I've run the tests on the Apple tv menu and it tells me everything is alright.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I really meant is the Mac where iTunes is going to sleep?

Is the iMac maintaining a wifi connection ok?

Try setting the iMac power options to not sleep for 1 hour and see what happens.

Also make sure iTunes, OSX, AppleTV are all up to date

OP
M
Reaction score
I will try to do this, but I am sure it is not the Mac, as the timings of it going off are so very different.
For example, I have just been listening to iTunes on my tv and it went off after six minutes. I turned Home Share off and then on again and it lasted for 15 minutes. I turned Home Share off/on again and this time we were going for about forty minutes - the longest yet!
However, I will look the power on the Mac.
Many thanks.

OP
M
Reaction score
I have changed the power settings on my iMac, but it has made no difference. Apple tv still shuts off when it feels like it. It is always at the end of one track - never part way through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't mention the atv shutting down
I'd connect to iTunes via cable and do a restore

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry - my mistake! Apple tv does NOT shut down. It is only iTunes that disconnects.
Apologies!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'd still go for the restore :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Has this always happened or did it just start?

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi, Baggss.

I have had my iMac for about a month and it has always happened. I didn't do anything about it previously as I thought it was me and I was still on the learning curve.
As mrplow suggested (above) I changed my mac's power settings, but I still had the problem.
He now suggests a restore, which perhaps I should go for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Try the restore but if that does't work I would submit that the ATV itself may have a problem. Maybe you need to take it back to apple and see what they say.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for your advice - it is much appreciated. You have given me a couple of options to investigate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm going to throw another in for kicks.... try it connectin to your router by cable rather than wifi to see if that makes any difference. Ideally try both the ATV and iMac cabled, then just one cabled, then the other. That might help track the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.