router access point

Reaction score
To finnish the configuration of my dlink adapter to my airport extreme mac mini it asked to press the BUTTON on the router/access point, this is a WPS button (whatever that is. 0 where is all of this I am a senior person ( with little patience) smile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
WPS is an 'easy' connection method but both the router and adapter need to support it.

If I'm reading your post correctly you have a Mac Mini, an Extreme Router and a DLink USB? adapter. Is this correct?

Can you post back with which equipment you have (which Mac Mini? Which Router and the model number of the DLink). Because your Mac Mini probably has wifi built in and shouldn't need an external adapter. But post back with the info and I'll try and get you sorted out.

OP
R
Reaction score
My mac mini is 10.4, safari dlink is--N300 dwa-130 Dumb question (is my router my airport express) please take me through steps for set up for wpi or the easiest , My laptop is a ACER aspire 5742z-4601 thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Apologies if any of this doesn't reflect your setup I'm filling in some gaps....

Your router is the device that, in most cases, creates and manages your network be it wired and/or wireless. In your case this is your Airport Extreme (guessing it's an extreme - white box - looks like your mac mini, rather than an Airport Express which is a quarter that size and plugs straight into a plug socket.

Either way, if you have cabled internet, your router will connect to a modem then to the cable box leaving your home.

Your router, presumably, already manages a wireless network that your laptop connects to OK.

You appear to have installed the dlink adapter onto your Mac Mini. Now all you should need to do is go to the wifi icon (top-right near the clock) and click it. After a few seconds the name of your wireless network (that your laptop connects to) should appear. Click on this and enter the password.

That should get you connected.

I've made many assumptions here. Let me know where it differs for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
I have a airport express,also when I tried the same thing with mt 5yr old COMPACT PRESERIO PC, with the dlink adapter, it connected fine with the airport, I had ITUNES, my yahoo my aol, it was connected to the internet, but not my 1yr old acer laptop, I must say it did connect one time, I must have done something wrong, because all signals are strong,and equipment seems to be working fine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry I'm a little confused now. I can't quite understand what equipment you have and what's not working.

Can you describe your setup and the part that's not working

OP
R
Reaction score
I am sorry ,I have you confused, I am confused myself, thanks for your patience, which I am sure is wearing thin.I have a mac-mini (10.4) with airport express , works fine except the cd/dvd/ tray, slot can not be used (it jams the cd or dvd inside), I also have a acer (aspire) wireless laptop (I can not seem to be able to connect to the airport)it reads cannot connect to internet ) In another room I have a compaq preserio desk top it works fine with the installed windows .When I install the dlink adapter to this compaq , it connectsto the airport just fine , but slow.What I wanted, and was trying to do,if possible, use a dlink adapter on my laptop to connect to the airport, and then receive the internet , it tells me to click on the button at the access (any clue??) I clicked on the button on the dlink,nothing happens I need help. THANKS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok.

How is the wireless network setup on the Airport Express?

G or N? 2.4 ghz or 5ghz? channel?

Make a note of the settings. Then change them to 802.11n (b/g compatible) 2.4ghz. automatic channel.

Restart the AE then try and connect the laptop without using the dlink.

--------------
If you do want to use the dlink, ignore the wds feature your AE doesn't support it. Just install it and use the network connect tool in windows to detect and connect to the network.

OP
R
Reaction score
THANK YOU, thankyou, THANK you. How can I add to your repetition again, you were most informative, and easy to follow, with patience, thank you again, it is all a go .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant, thanks for posting back, appreciate that.

Glad your all sorted now.

mrplow

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.