Folder with ? on boot - NOT a hard drive problem!!!

Reaction score
Ok so

I have two macbook pros....both are the unibody late 2009 style 13"

My main started acting very weird tonight while watching a movie on VLC, locking up for a few , then locking up again for longer, to the point where it completely locked up

i turned it off with a hard button press, and back on then got the folder with a ? in it...thought my drive was shot

i removed it and plugged it into an external enclosure and plugged into the other macbook i have and its fine, transfered the files i needed off of the harddrive

then i tried to boot from it while using it as an external in the secondary macbook...that worked no problem

so i tried then to boot from the external while plugged into the original laptop and THAT worked TOO...this is what i am currently using to type from...,my original laptop, with the hard drive hooked up externally...like some frankenstein experiment and the brain is outside of its body

anyways - any suggestions? could this be simply the cable? computer shot? need a new laptop?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.