Airport Connection Problems on 10.2.8

Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm new to Macs. I recently came across an old PowerPC G3 book, and I can't seem to figure out how to get the airport to work. It's got 256 MB of ram and a 700 MHz processor. (Less than my phone now... technology is amazing). Anyway, this is my first Mac, and I have had absolutely no luck getting the airport to work.

We have a secure network at my house. I believe it's WEP, though we might be changing to WPA soon. I've tried putting in the password and SSID many times now, and I've restarted the Mac and all that. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if my airport is broken. I can enable and disable it in the menu bar, but when I click on it, my only options are to turn it on/off or open up the internet connection center. From there, I can select airport and input a name/pass, but that hasn't worked either. It doesn't even seem like it's trying to connect.

Is there anything I can do/should be trying? Is this just user error?

In the event that my airport is broken, would something like this be a reasonable solution?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003X26PMO/?tag=macforums0e4-20

I hope I posted this in the correct place.

Thanks,

A Mac Noob

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

An older machine and Airport Card will simply not handle anything other than WEP. How are you entering the account and password ~ using URL address as provided. Next what does Apple System Profiler (About this Mac) have to say regarding the Airport Card and is it in fact installed and antenna connection secure? They do fail from time to time like most FREDS.

OP
U
Reaction score
I see. Well, I think our network is currently WEP protected, so that should be fine.

I don't actually own that usb wifi adapter I linked to; I was thinking about buying it if I couldn't get the airport to work though. I was just trying to log in via the internet connections page and then through the airport part.

According to the systems profiler under Airport:

Flags: 0x8863<Up.Broadcast.b6.Running.Simplex.Multicast>
Ethernet address: 00.30.65.0B.53.E4

Or is that not the information you were talking about?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.