Mac Experts help a struggling switcher

Reaction score
Ok, here's my dilemma. I am a die hard PC gamer but I want to move all of my other daily computing over to Mac. We have just purchased a 15" MBP for my wife that she will use exclusively for her school and work. I am looking to complement that with another 1 or 2 macs and a 27" display. My budget is $2500 or so and these are my requirements:

27" Cinema Display - Will be used for my primary Mac display and as a display for my PC for games. I am not opposed to a 27" iMac fulfilling this requirement but I really prefer the look of the regular display.

Must be able to setup a Mac workstation for the kids. This can be as a second display connected to my primary Mac or another Mac on it's own (My thoughts here have been a Mini or a 21" iMac)

In a nutshell I need to be able to display a Mac and PC on a 27" and also be able to have a workstation for the kiddos. I am also looking at a 13" MBP or Air to use for this which would allow portability as well. I hope this isn't too confusing. I know I will have to be looking at a 2010 refurb iMac or the LED Cinema Display given the Thunderbolt limitations with the PC. Here are a couple scenarios I have drummed up:

21" iMac + 27" Display. I should be able to use the 27" as a secondary display on the 21" iMac correct? Would I then still be able to attach the PC to the 27" display via a switch, Kanex Snapx or the like?

27" Display + 13" MBP or Air. Basically the same scenario except use an LCD I currently own for the kid workstation. Would be using a Henge dock or something similar. Would this work - Docked 13" laptop output to both 27" display and 24" LCD.

I would not need to be able to work on both screens at the same time. I just need to be able to setup 2 "workstations" with a display and hopefully have them both run off of one central Mac. Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,
Why not have a look at the new Mac Mini with Lion Server for the main hub?

You can set up a regular Mac Mini for your kids' workstation which you can manage the admin of.
You can then set up your PC as a user, your wife's MBP can be a user or not, and you could add in whatever screens you wanted according to budget.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.