2007 MacBook Pro 15" bad logic board? overheats...

Reaction score
I have a 2007 MacBook Pro 15" 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, with 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. Lately, it's been overheating a lot, especially when streaming video over the internet (YouTube, Netflix, etc.) I thought maybe the fans weren't working, but I downloaded smcFanControl and it shows that both fans are working.

So today, while watching a video, something really scary happened. And it's still happening occasionally as I write this... The screen started getting all these strange distorted, pixel-y squares. Then the entire computer froze and I had to do a force shut-down. Then when re-starting, the same thing happened on the start-up screen. Also, in one instance, the white background behind the menu bar items went away. Here's some pics of what I'm talking about. This happend a few times.

I e-mailed a local mac repair store in the DC-area where I live (macmedics) and someone responded saying that it could be a bad logic board, and based on the machine it could fall under the bad NVIDIA graphics cards that involved a class-action lawsuit where Apple was replacing the boards for free. However, upon reading the details of the swap program, I'm not sure my computer falls under this. (Note that my computer is a 2.3GHz Intel processor, NOT a 2.4GHz or 2.2GHz processor...). Also, upon looking at the specs in my system profiler, I don't think I have the NVIDIA card, I think I have the ATI Radeon X1600:
ATI Radeon X1600:

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxxx-158
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.158

SO: does anyone have any clue what might be going on? I'm taking it in to be looked at tomorrow by Macmedics and they'll run some tests... but anyone with this machine experienced anything like this before?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That would be a video card issue just based on the pics, which would require replacing the board. On that model machine, it basically means it's time for a new one.

I have the same model MBP and thus far, knock on wood, it's still going strong.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Got an email back from the Mac repair shop:

Your model is the one before the Nvidia graphics.
Logic board is $499 + $150 labor. It's cheaper than a new one, but it's pushing the current resale value of a similar unit.

There are "gray market" resellers out there that will sell you a refurbished logic board with maybe a 30 or 60 day warranty, but it's honestly not worth the hassle. We've worked with numerous companies like that to try and cut down on repair costs and it always comes back to haunt us. Also for that reason, we prefer not to do repairs with customer-provided service parts.

I has a sad :(

UPDATE: I tried running the fans on my computer at Max speed through the smsFanControl app that I downloaded before viewing online streaming video, and it didn't crash this time! We'll see if it's just a matter of the computer staying cool enough, or if it'll start freaking out again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.