Renaming Home folder

Reaction score
Most of you probably know this already but it is a warning for the poor souls who don't.

DON'T rename your home folder - it causes all kinds of hassle as you loose all your settings including playlists for iTunes, bookmarks etc etc.

Why OSX allows you to do it without even a warning is beyond me! :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
yea i got caught out with that one

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Jammers said:
Why OSX allows you to do it without even a warning is beyond me! :rolleyes:
Because it is base on unix and unix assumes that you know what you are doing. Apple could add safe guards in a later revision, if they wanted too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I did this once also but luckily it was right after I did a reinstall of the OS so I didn't lose much. Never will do that gain though!

L

lil

If you want to 'rename' the home folder the best way as you may have discovered is to create a new account (System Preferences > Accounts) and in the short name description, call it what you want your home folder to be called.

Then copy out the documents from the account you are transferring from into the new home folder, and then delete via Account Preferences the old account you have just transferred from.

As to why Apple allows you to easily rename the home folder is beyond me too, but maybe something will be done in time.

Of course I prefer the gloves off approach in OS X...

Vicky :flower:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.