iPod Problems (What A Suprise)

T

Trikitt

Heya!

I have just bought an iBook and I absolutely love it. I attatched my iPod to it and it worked first time and I was over the moon and tehn I tried doing it again and now it won't work. The loading icon comes up in the corner and then it stops after that It makes like a clicking noise and just doesnt load. I attactched one of my Friends iPods to my iBook and it works so it makes me think that the iPod has problems. Does anyone have any clue about how to fix this? As I am a student and really can't afford to buy a new one.

Thanks in Adavance.

Iain x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
It might help to give info on the status of your ipod. Is it new, old, etc. If you live close to an Apple store take it there and have them look at it. If you don't you can always call up the support line.

OP
T

Trikitt

It is a £rd Generation iPod 20GB. I do live near an Apple Storebut they tell me more or less that I should buy a new one. So any help would be really be appreciated.

Iain x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
what appreas on the screen of the iPod when you connect it to you iBook?

OP
T

Trikitt

The Screen says do not diconnect and the symbol comes on teh screen. The loading symbol comes up in the corner for a while and then the ticking starts. The symbol stays on the screen but the loading symbol disappears.

Hope this helps

Iain x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
if you hear a ticking it would indicate to me that the hard drive is dead :(

OP
T

Trikitt

Well.

I think I have come to teh Conclusion that Windows Based PCs are just down right better they work more efficiently and just work. There is no messing about and they just do the job. I plugged my iPod into my PC and it works rather than the iBook taht doesn't. The word processors are ugly and just don't work and I am seriously considering just taking the iBook back and getting myself a new Windows based PC Saving me time and money and the hassle of finding compatible stuff.

Iain x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" PB 1.5, 512 ram, superdrive, one sexy computer!
have you reformatted it for the mac? Or is that what you are trying to do but are unable to...I believe this happened to my brother who has my old 3G ipod. He wasn't able to install the software on the ipod and thus it couldn't work, he kept getting replacement ones and finally I was able to get it to work. You have to restore the ipod or something like that. Reinstall the software on it. Try messing around with getting it to it's original state. Just make sure you backup your music.

Reaction score
Trikitt said:
Well.

I think I have come to teh Conclusion that Windows Based PCs are just down right better they work more efficiently and just work. There is no messing about and they just do the job. I plugged my iPod into my PC and it works rather than the iBook taht doesn't. The word processors are ugly and just don't work and I am seriously considering just taking the iBook back and getting myself a new Windows based PC Saving me time and money and the hassle of finding compatible stuff.

Iain x

Bad idea.

It takes time to switch. If I gave up the first time I hit a hurdle (difficulties with .zip files I believe) I would not have been introduced to the magic that is Mac. More times than I can count, this little white computer has done something that made me stop and say, "**** that's cool". The most recent example of this is coverflow. It is all the little things that make mac worthwhile. I am NOT saying that you should totally ditch PC either. Use both for their strengths to do things that no one OS could do. It's like how Devastator was the strongest of the Decepticons because he utilized the power of the three different Contructicons. I am using a PC for games and a Mac for everything else (this is a combo that I heartily reccomend).

Reformat your iPod to mac and see if it works. My iBook was a little bit fussy with a windows formatted iPod as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.