MBP HD Replacement to a 300GB/10000RPM???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
My '07 MBP really needs more HD speed but I'm on a budget so no SSD or new MBP for me until way in the future. :Angry: As of now, I have a 320GB/5400RPM which is barely 200GB full of my music projects and a WIN7 bootcamp partition. GB size isn't too important now but speed is for my DAW/music programs.

I can purchase a new WD Velociraptor HD 300GB/10000RPM (9.5mm) for $90. I've read about excessive vibration and heat with the 10000RPM HD's but haven't came across anyone who actually installed/used it in a notebook/laptop. I believe the $90 Velociraptor would be worth the chance to try it for speedy reading/writing to the HD. If it doesn't work, I have plenty of Mac backups and I can always use the HD in my PC tower. ;D

Your thoughts on trying this? Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'd give it a try since you can always yank it out and use it elsewhere. I've heard that it does get warmer than an average 7200 RPM drive plus it's a bit louder. (vibration and noise) Let us know how it went.

OP
JUKE179r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
what about battery life?

I've read that the highspeed might drain the battery. My MBP is always has the power cord connected when I'm making music. The only time I disconnect it is to calibrate the battery every other month.

Reaction score
I've read that the highspeed might drain the battery. My MBP is always has the power cord connected when I'm making music. The only time I disconnect it is to calibrate the battery every other month.

Gotcha :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.