Cinema Display to PC

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post, but I always to browse around cause the posts can be very informative.

Anyway, I have an old Cinema display that I had with my G5 Power Mac, maybe 5 years old or so. I needed an old pc, so a friend of mine gave me his that he wanted to get rid of. Of course I don't wan't to use that bulky CRT monitor, so I want to connect to my apple display.

The display has a DVI-d male connector and the pc has a VGA female. I got a female DVI-I(they didn't have the DVI-D) to VGA male adaptor and of course it didn't work.

Can it be the pc or the video card that may not be compatible or should they all work with an adaptor. I just want to make sure before I order one from online.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Anyway, I have an old Cinema display that I had with my G5 Power Mac, maybe 5 years old or so. I needed an old pc, so a friend of mine gave me his that he wanted to get rid of. Of course I don't wan't to use that bulky CRT monitor, so I want to connect to my apple display.

The display has a DVI-d male connector and the pc has a VGA female.

I just wanted to check...are you 100% sure the Apple Cinema Display has a "DVI-d" connector...and not the ADC connector (which was somewhat common around the Powermac G5 timeframe)?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
I just wanted to check...are you 100% sure the Apple Cinema Display has a "DVI-d" connector...and not the ADC connector (which was somewhat common around the Powermac G5 timeframe)?

Thanks,

- Nick

I'm pretty sure this is a DVI, but here is a pic anyway.

IMG_0822.jpg

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
That is indeed a DVI-D.

You are not going to get from a VGA port to DVI-D with an adapter. You will need a converter to get from analog to digital. I'll do a little checking and see if I can find something under $100, but I sort of doubt it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure this is a DVI, but here is a pic anyway.

Yes you are correct...that is DVI...and not ADC. Thanks a ton for the photo..."a picture is worth a thousand words!":)

Like "bobtomay" mentioned...the adapter you need is a bit uncommon. Most DVI-VGA adapters are (DVI female) to (VGA male).

Just like "bobtomay"...I will also look around and see what I can find.:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yep, didn't think so. Most everyone is carrying a model from a single manufacturer - at $380-$420. Found another one for $220.

Best bet is get another video card for that PC with a DVI-I port on it. You can probably find a video card that will work for less than $50.

Here's the $220 model at B&H Photo.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDTV-DVI-D-...ltDomain_0&hash=item45fe43a25b#ht_2025wt_1000

140.jpg

This could potentially work...since it has the "DVI-male" end you need...and it it has a "VGA-female" on the other end.

How you would "hook" this up is...you would plug the adapter (VGA end) into your Windows computer video port (on back of the computer)...and the adapters DVI end into your Apple Cinema Display's cable.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. Hey "bobtomay"...I thought that this could work...hopefully I'm not mistaken. EDIT: Looks like you were looking for an analog to digital convertor as well....which explains the much higher price.

OP
C
Reaction score
Wow, thanks a lot for everyones help with such quick responses. This is much better than the apple discussion boards. I'll make sure I post here next time if I need any help.

Guess I'll look for the VGA card that works with this motherboard. Do they make DVI video cards for such an old pc? I'll do a search, or maybe I'll just use this CRT monitor. Or that Ebay listing seems pretty decent...but from Hong Kong, it can take forever to get, and probably cheap quality so it may not even work.

Again, thanks for all the help.

...I miss my Power Mac, that thing was a beast.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wanted to mention that the adapter I posted...the problem with it is you may not get all the resolutions that the Apple Cinema Display is capable of. The adapter option that "bobtomay" mentioned...would probably give you more resolution choices.

Of course the suggestion "bobtomay" made about getting a video card for your computer with a DVI port is the MUCH better and $$$ agreeable option...since you can probably get something for under $20 bucks for an older "Windows box" in the "bargain bin" at a local electronics store or e-Bay:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That adapter is also for going from DVI-D to VGA - digital to analog...
Not for going from VGA to DVI-D - analog to digital.

But for $4 incl'g shipping you haven't lost much though if it doesn't work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.