Streaming on my iMac is glitching and it is driving me crazy

Reaction score
I can't watch a full show anymore.

It will play for about 3-8 minutes, freeze, and then start the entire show from the beginning again. Then it will do that over and over again.

I have called Applecare twice and it has not resolved the issue. We did all the hard resets, etc....and I spent over 2 hours over the 3 calls made.

I have a laptop (MacBookPro) that is streaming just fine so this is not an internet issue.

The other thing my iMac is doing is loading things intermittently slow and fast, slow and fast. Again, my MacBook is working just fine so this is not due to internet speeds changing.

One of the reasons I bought the 27" screen was for streaming! I can't stream anything!

This is a problem on CBS.com, Netflix.com and HuluPlus.com so far, so it isn't certain websites either.

Any suggestions?

I have done all recent updates to Adobe and Lion.

Thank you!,

Dawn

Reaction score
Isn't most of that stuff using Silverlight to run in a browser? Might be an issue there and worth checking if there are any problems or updates...

OP
D
Reaction score
Oh! I had no idea. I will see. Thank you.

I have not even ever heard of silverlight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
This problem could be a system resource/CPU starvation issue and you could try this fix:

System Preferences/General and UNCHECK "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" and then do a re-start.

OP
D
Reaction score
It is plugged directly into the modem.

I thought that might be the issue so I tried it on wireless and it does the same thing either way.

Dawn

OP
D
Reaction score
We are leaving for vacation in a couple of days but I think when we return I am going to have to take it in. Hopefully they can figure out the issue at the Apple store.

Dawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We are leaving for vacation in a couple of days but I think when we return I am going to have to take it in. Hopefully they can figure out the issue at the Apple store.

Dawn

Sorry Dawn,
I edited my post whilst you were replying to it. Have a go at the fix first as it's simple and seems rational.
Liam
System Preferences/General and UNCHECK "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps" and then do a re-start.

OP
D
Reaction score
That is what the guy yesterday on Applecare recommended as well. I downloaded Firefox and it is doing the same thing! I haven't tried Google Chrome.

OP
D
Reaction score
We are back from vacation.

I have done everything everyone has suggested and it is still glitching. ARGH!!!!!!!

It also doesn't work with my printer and keeps saying there is a communications error.

The only thing this computer is good for is surfing and email. I am extremely frustrated.

I plan to make an appt with the apple store and take it in as I have no idea what else to do. Who knows if they can fix it since the guys at Apple Care haven't been able to.

Dawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again,

If you can surf and email then your connection is sound I guess. Are you running the latest update of Flash Player?

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you. Downloading it now and will see if that helps. Do you mean Adobe or is there another one?

I am downloading the newest version of Adobe.

Dawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I do Dawn.

I'm off to the Land of Nod now so hope you get sorted.

OP
D
Reaction score
Still a problem, although it didn't freeze as quickly this time. I have made a Wed. appt with the Genius bar even though the apple store is a ways away. I really hope they don't stream for 2 minutes and say, "It is fine." I will stress to them that it doesn't happen for 5-7 minutes many times but you cannot get past that point. I hope they can fix it.

I did go onto the Apple forums and it looks like a lot of people are having streaming issues with Lion. Some even have their entire computer freeze up. I can't understand why an 18 page thread of issues with streaming video brings no solution or acknowledgement from Apple itself, but hopefully it will at some point.

I will also be buying more Applecare. My year is still valid but my 90 day call in is up.

Dawn

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm having loads of regular dropouts with Safari at the moment just freezing. All my connections seem fine but it's annoying having a fragile connection when everything else seems fine.

It's possible that your problems are plug-in related (Flash Player is one) and what they may do is remove Safari, remove the plug-ins and then re-install things one by one until they find a problem

I also had to install Flip 4 Mac to view WMV files....have you got that installed as it's free?

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't even know what that is! I will do a search.

Thank you,

Dawn

I'm having loads of regular dropouts with Safari at the moment just freezing. All my connections seem fine but it's annoying having a fragile connection when everything else seems fine.

It's possible that your problems are plug-in related (Flash Player is one) and what they may do is remove Safari, remove the plug-ins and then re-install things one by one until they find a problem

I also had to install Flip 4 Mac to view WMV files....have you got that installed as it's free?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.