2 questions from a new Mac user

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
Finally got my imac up and running and i have 2 questions as I try to get things up and running:

1. Is there a way to set the files view in "finder" so that no details are displayed? I tend to have a lot of files in certain folders and would like to see everything in the windows list view....which is just the file name in one column after the other.

2. The default setting in the dock shows the documents folder in the lower right corner. Upon clicking that it opens up a 2nd view where you see all teh files in a sort of arching patern. Is there a way to set that so it just opens up the folder? I might use that feature for some folders but not for others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
1.) Finder > You have the option to show how they are displayed in its own menu bar
at the top coverflow,list and columns then arrange by date,application,kind and name.
2.) Right click while on the document folder then you can change from stacks or folders and view as fan,grid or lists.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" 2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 with 12GB RAM and 2TB HDD, 32 GB iPad 2, 32 GB iPhone 4
1.) Finder > You have the option to show how they are displayed in its own menu bar
at the top coverflow,list and columns then arrange by date,application,kind and name.
2.) Right click while on the document folder then you can change from stacks or folders and view as fan,grid or lists.

1. Yeah I saw that you can change the views. I like having things in the list but I don't care for any of the additional information. As it is, all the files are set up like below:

file 1
file 2
file 3
file 4
file 5
file 6

but I want to look like this:

file 1 file 4
file 2 file 5
file 3 file 6

I'll try what you recommended for #2.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just adding to the post in case anyone else comes in looking for the same info. I didn't know that, regarding question 2, they are called stacks. That's why I didn't pull up any results. This basically explains it.

How to Use Stacks on Your Mac - For Dummies

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
1. Yeah I saw that you can change the views. I like having things in the list but I don't care for any of the additional information. As it is, all the files are set up like below:

file 1
file 2
file 3
file 4
file 5
file 6

but I want to look like this:

file 1 file 4
file 2 file 5
file 3 file 6

You can't do that in List View. The closest you can get is in Icon View. Check the box to have the file name displayed to the right of the icon. Make the icons as small as you can. Now Arrange by Name.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Choosing Column View in the Finder omits the details too. To me, Column View is the simplest since it shows the whole file path moving from left to right.

To open the Documents folder from the Dock, you can click on it once and choose "Open in Finder". Or right-click on it and choose "Open Documents".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
1. Is there a way to set the files view in "finder" so that no details are displayed? I tend to have a lot of files in certain folders and would like to see everything in the windows list view....which is just the file name in one column after the other.
You can either right click on the top grey bar and an option to customize toolbar will be at the bottom of the menu and drag action to it.. then when in finder click on action and on the menu click on 'show view options' in that make sure that there isn't a check beside 'comments'.. I think that's what you are looking for?

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can either right click on the top grey bar and an option to customize toolbar will be at the bottom of the menu and drag action to it.. then when in finder click on action and on the menu click on 'show view options' in that make sure that there isn't a check beside 'comments'.. I think that's what you are looking for?

I'm not sure right now if that's the fix. I'm at work with a windows pc so I can't verify if it works but based on what I'm reading, the column view may be what I'm looking for.

Here's a picture of what I'm trying to accomplish:

Windows folder list image by terrypin999 on Photobucket

Thanks all for the suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I would say that column view is the most similar to the folder list view. The only real difference is that column view uses one long list instead of multiple columns. The best advice you can get is to get out of the Windows mindset and stop trying to make OS X act like Windows. It is a different OS and does things in its own way. But there are probably other file browser programs you can download which will do what you want.

OP
DaGrandMastah
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would say that column view is the most similar to the folder list view. The only real difference is that column view uses one long list instead of multiple columns. The best advice you can get is to get out of the Windows mindset and stop trying to make OS X act like Windows. It is a different OS and does things in its own way. But there are probably other file browser programs you can download which will do what you want.

Nah I'll work with what I have there. I hear what you're saying but that was a useful feature for me in copying files between folders and getting a better view of everything I have in there. All good though. I'll get used to the new way.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.