Mac mini peripherals?

Reaction score
Hello there!

I've just ordered my first mac (mac mini) and I've just seen that it doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse!
I know it has Bluetooth, so can I use any Bluetooth keyboard with it or do I really want to spend £60 on an apple one.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello there!

I've just ordered my first mac (mac mini) and I've just seen that it doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse!
I know it has Bluetooth, so can I use any Bluetooth keyboard with it or do I really want to spend £60 on an apple one.

I really like my Apple keyboard and magic trackpad. IMO both are worth spending money on.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
AFAIK it will work with any Bluetooth keyboard.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello there!

I hope that this didn't surprise you...that's one of the reasons why Mac-minis are less expensive. It's been this way since the first Mac-minis were released in January, 2005 (almost 7 years ago)!:)

And like others have mentioned...just about any USB mouse & keyboard should work....and I would think most bluetooth devices should work as well.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
AFAIK it will work with any Bluetooth keyboard.

Sorry to sound dumb but what is AFAIK? :[

I guess i will just bite the bullet and get the apple keyboard, not to sure about the mouse tbh.

Thanks for your help guys! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
AFAIK - As far as I know.

I hope the fact it doesn't come with a monitor won't be a surprise to you either. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
LOL! i am aware of that hehe. I just cant wait to get it now! :)

You will need a USB keyboard and mouse to set the mini up. Then you can pair it with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse/pointing device

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You will need a USB keyboard and mouse to set the mini up. Then you can pair it with the bluetooth keyboard/mouse/pointing device

I do not remember doing that . . . at the time I had a 3rd party BT Keyboard and Mouse (have since switched to Apple KB & Trackpad).

Don't believe there is any need to have a USB KB to set it up but always a good idea to keep one around for troubleshooting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Maybe you should tell Apple that, as when you buy a mini, the BT keyboard and mouse are added extras and it says nothing about having a wired one first.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok well I'm due to receive it quite soon. I've got a USB keyboard in case I need one, I'll drop an update here when I know if the bluetooth keyboard worked.

Reaction score

I hope this isnt true. I also just purchased a mini and already have a apple bt keyboard and magic mouse. ugh. it will be here today i can let you know tonight.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't see why you would need a USB one... I received the BT Keyboard and Trackpad with my iMac, and didn't need a USB keyboard to set it up. It just worked straight out the box. As it would. ;)

I imagine it has the same Bluetooth gubbins inside, so can't see how it would be any different.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
I'm buying a Mac Mini myself and the Apple store personnel told me, FOR THE INITIAL SETUP ONLY, you can't pair a wireless keyboard with a new mini. You must have a wired keyboard and a wired or usb pointing device. After the initial setup, you can then pair your wireless keyboard with your new mini

Threads like this on Apple support pages are what I'm basing this on:Mini Setup

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm buying a Mac Mini myself and the Apple store personnel told me, FOR THE INITIAL SETUP ONLY, you can't pair a wireless keyboard with a new mini. You must have a wired keyboard and a wired or usb pointing device. After the initial setup, you can then pair your wireless keyboard with your new mini

I read the threads and no doubt some people experience problems, but since most people I know of who have Mac Minis also use wireless keyboard and mouse or trackpad, if this was a widespread problem there would be a major change to configuration.

My Mac Mini is the late 2009 model, set up and pairing to BT was quick and easy. Definitely did not use a wired keyboard.

Interesting to see if any of those of you awaiting your new Mac Minis have any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
The only time I have seen the need for wired is if a problem occurs then if you need to hold down specific keys before boot up because the Bluetooth unit has not established communication until boot up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 8GB Airport Extreme w/2 250gb Seagates Fusion 3 w/Windows 7

not true. I don't even own a wired keyboard and my Mac Mini came right up with the BT keyboard and trackpad

Reaction score
I hooked the new mini last night. It paired mouse first then when it needed me to type stuff it paired the keyboard easy peasy

OP
M
Reaction score
Hi guys, got my mac mini today and can confirm that you DON'T need a wired keyboard for initial set up. It happily paired my mouse and keyboard :)

Thank you guys for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 09 mac mini, core 2 duo 2.53, 4 gigs 1330 DDR3, 320 Gig HD, Samsung external DVD Burner
USB Key/ mouse combo with mac mini

I hope that this didn't surprise you...that's one of the reasons why Mac-minis are less expensive. It's been this way since the first Mac-minis were released in January, 2005 (almost 7 years ago)!:)

And like others have mentioned...just about any USB mouse & keyboard should work....and I would think most bluetooth devices should work as well.

- Nick

I own a late 09 mini and I use a microsoft wireless combo works great no problems also will use an apple key and a Bluetooth mouse. My only complaint with the bluethooth is that it's kinda slow with the scroll. But MS combo works great no real scroling problems. Hoped I could help a little.:Cool:;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.