usb keyboard with Macbook

Reaction score
I would like to use a kvm switch with my macbook and my pc. To test the compatibility of the usb keyboard I plugged it into my macbook but it didn't work. Is there a fix for this issue, or can anyone suggest a usb keyboard for this application. Please advise. Thanks for looking.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I've yet to find a USB keyboard that didn't work with my MacBook. Granted, some keys are different but that does not prevent it from working. What kind of keyboard do you have? And is it hooked directly to the MacBook or are you trying to use it through the KVM switch?

OP
R
Reaction score
The keyboard I tried was plugged directly into a usb port on the Macbbok. I then tried it on a Dell laptop and it didn't work there either. It's a Microsoft Model 1032, (with a fingerprint reader). It's an old one that hasn't been used in years. Might need an install disc. I'll check further tomorrow and post back. Thanks for your interest.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, that might be the exception. An old MS keyboard with a fingerprint reader probably won't work - especially since it didn't work on your Dell.

OP
R
Reaction score
No question in my mind that the keyboard is defective. I bought an Apple keyboard and connected it to my Macbook without a problem. I then connected it to my PC and it worked there as well. ONly problem is that the (multi-medi) function keys do not work in the pc. Meaning that I am unable to control the sound volume. The "f#" keys are working; but the supplemental functions are not. (Hope this is clear.) Is there a fix for this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No fix. Those special keys are designed for the Mac only and won't work the same on a PC nor when running Windows on a Mac. Page 15 of the Boot Camp Assistant Guide has a chart which shows the functions of some keys and what they correspond to in Windows. LINK

OP
R
Reaction score
Many thanks for the info. I was hoping to control the sound volume on my pc with the external mac keyboard. Too bad there isn't a software fix to enable this feature...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Many thanks for the info. I was hoping to control the sound volume on my pc with the external mac keyboard. Too bad there isn't a software fix to enable this feature...
Yea, but it'd require Microsoft to 'fix' an issue they don't see as broken.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 27"12.2.1 Monterey.1phone 13, iwatch,ipad air
No question in my mind that the keyboard is defective. I bought an Apple keyboard and connected it to my Macbook without a problem. I then connected it to my PC and it worked there as well. ONly problem is that the (multi-medi) function keys do not work in the pc. Meaning that I am unable to control the sound volume. The "f#" keys are working; but the supplemental functions are not. (Hope this is clear.) Is there a fix for this?

Two weeks or so ago I posted a problem I had with my USB keyboard.
I had bought a brand new one and none of my f keys worked.
I was told on here it was defective and to take it back.
The truth is the NEW keyboards only work with LION.
I have Leopard so it does not function right.
ALL of the keyboards in my IMAC store are the new ones.
They went on line and searched for the older model I need # A1243, one store in Seattle had one and they are sending it down to Portland.
I got a loaner from the store and they kept my new one.
RIDICULOUS that with an OS system upgrade the keyboard no longer functions correctly.

OP
R
Reaction score
Hey, that's business as usual with Microsoft. Very surprising coming from Apple. Just wondering whether the system requirements listing spell this out???

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That does not make any sense at all. Checking into that now.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I agree with dtravis7. I know the Apple aluminum keyboard has been updated with a firmware revision but as far as not working with anything but Lion, that is not correct. My keyboard works fine with Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion.

Edit: I noticed he mentioned in another post the keyboard model # is A 1243. That is the same as my model but I wonder if he's right in that perhaps the newer A 1243 has different firmware?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I agree with dtravis7. I know the Apple aluminum keyboard has been updated with a firmware revision but as far as not working with anything but Lion, that is not correct. My keyboard works fine with Leopard, Snow Leopard, and Lion.

Edit: I noticed he mentioned in another post the keyboard model # is A 1243. That is the same as my model but I wonder if he's right in that perhaps the newer A 1243 has different firmware?

I went to the online Apple Store. Checked the new Full Sized USB keyboard. It says 10.6.8 or higher OSX needed!!! What are they doing? That would mean issues with anything older than the latest Snow Leopard or Lion. The OP is running Leopard. That is insane if true!

I did some Goggling around and nothing so far.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I saw that. Apparently the latest aluminum full sized keyboard is using different firmware. My keyboard was purchased back in 2008 when I was running Leopard on a then new MacBook. Apple updated the firmware for that keyboard once. But I've used it when I upgraded to Snow Leopard and decided to use it with the new iMac running Lion rather than the wireless model that came with the machine.

Doesn't make much sense to have a keyboard with firmware that only supports Snow Leopard 10.6.8 upward. But then, Apple is famous for those kinds of decisions.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I had the $$$ I would go purchase one just to try it. I do know that that older one both of us have will not work on a Mac Mini to hit C, Option or Command+Option+P+R. Only works when it gets into OSX 10.5.8.

Crazy stuff.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was just thinking about this.... what about the after market third party keyboards that are made specifically for the Mac? I can think of at least three models which are popular. One of them is priced at $149.95. Kind of expensive to buy and then find out it won't work with Lion!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.