• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple promises fix for iOS 5 battery issues, releases iOS 5.0.1 beta

Reaction score
Apple promises fix for iOS 5 battery issues, releases iOS 5.0.1 beta

iphone421021.jpg
Apple has just confirmed with All Things Digital that it is aware of the battery issues some iPhone owners have noticed under iOS 5 and is working on a fix. "A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices. We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks."

According to MacStories, Aapple has also just released a beta of iOS 5.0.1 to developers. We haven't had a chance to check this out yet to see if this update fixes the battery life issues that some iPhone users have reported, but the timing of the beta release seems a bit too coincidental for this not to be the case.

If you've been experiencing unusual battery drain in iOS 5 and the 5.0.1 beta fixes it for you, let us know in the comments.

Apple promises fix for iOS 5 battery issues, releases iOS 5.0.1 beta originally appeared on TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog on Wed, 02 Nov 2011 18:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

SourceÂ*|Â*PermalinkÂ*|Â*Email thisÂ*|Â*Comments

Read more

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
I hope they're specific about what the fix was/is - I'd like to know what they're turning off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
You'd think this issue would have been discovered during testing. Oh well I'm glad they admitted a problem and are working a fix.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
I hope they're specific about what the fix was/is - I'd like to know what they're turning off.

Apple is saying it's a software bug, so it likely won't involve shutting off anything.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I hope this is a fix for other iOS devices. It might just be me but it seems like the battery life of my iPod Touch has gone from good to miserable ever since the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Apple did say it was an iOS 5 issue and not an iPhone 4S issue, so that's not entirely out of the question. Particularly since the bug appears to mainly affect uses of the phone other than talking.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I've noticed a considerable increase in battery usage since updating to 5. Even after turning all notifications/location services off it was still poo.

Glad to hear Apple have realise there's a glitch, and that I wasn't imagining things. :)

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Apple is saying it's a software bug, so it likely won't involve shutting off anything.

Yes - but that could mean so many different things. I'd still like to get a clearer explanation of what was causing it. If it's just a rogue piece of code cycling the CPU unnecessarily - then that's great. If it involves changing higher level functions - I'd just like to know what they are.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.