• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Ok Please Help

B

bpublisher

Hello all,

I would like to start out by saying that yes, I do own a windows based pc. Before this week I was a wintel, loving windows. However, Im using a fairly good and new dell (768 mb ram, p4 3.0 ghz). The problem was that my dell was getting slow because of spam, spyware, adware, trojans, viruses, pups, and all that good stuff. So I was looking to get a new pc, whem my mac using friend told me to check out macs. I used his, and saw how fast it was, even though it was a g4 imac. I am now looking at the new powermac G5, and I really like it. But, I am having trouble finding the difference between the dual 2.7 gz with PCI X and the dual 2.5 Ghz with PCI express, is there a big difference? And will it make a big deal? and can u upgrade the processor on macs? yes, i kno i am being vague, but if anyone could help, I would really appreciate it. Also if u suggeset a mac similar to the G5, please feel free to let me know. And also does the G5 dual core 2.7 come with pci e and pci x if they are different?
Thank You,
bpublisher

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
The difference is that PCI-X is older. PCI Express is newer and faster. The main issue is that PCI Express does not support some professional editing hardware, such as the Pro Tools HD cards. PCI Express does, however, support the newest and best video cards on the market. It's up to you to decide which is more important to you, and which is a better value. As far as 'Macs similar to the G5,' Apple doesn't produce as many models as traditional PC manufacturers do. They have one education computer, three consumer computers, and two pro computers. That's all. G5 is also based on the processor that's in the machine; it's not simply a computer name. In short, there is no Apple computer that is 'comparable but different' to any other. They all are designed to have entirely different purposes and performance ratings. If you want the best performer, you get the PowerMac G5. If you want the most portability for the best price, you get the iBook. If you want an aesthetically pleasing novelty, you get the Mac mini. What Mac you get depends entirely upon why you want it. The best I can do is to refer you to rs2sensen's excellent buyer's guide. If you don't find what you need there to determine what sort of Mac you'd like to buy, anyone on this forum would be happy to answer your further questions. Good luck with your decision.

OP
B

bpublisher

Thank you very much, as to that site has helped. Thank you for making it clear that the name is not just the name it is the processer. One last question, does the power mac G5 dual 2.7 ghz have pci x and pci express slots, or just Pcix? and also wat is the major difference between that one and the dual 2.3 ghz?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The PowerMac G5 Dual 2.7Ghz comes with the PCI-X slots, whereas the current line Dual cores comes with PCI-e slots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
2.7 has PCI-X exclusively.

OP
B

bpublisher

ok thnx, i need a pci x and pci express, if ne one knows one that has both pleez let me kno (well im not sure biut i might b able to live with just pci express, but isnt the one with pcix faster?)

OP
L

lil

The Dual Processor 2.7 (w/ PCI-X) will be a fair whack faster than the Dual-core 2.3Ghz (w/ PCI-E). But it will hardly be slow.

If you decide you need PCI-X; you have the Dual Processor 2.0, 2.3 and 2.7.

If you decide you can do with PCI-E; you have the Dual Core 2.0, 2.3 and the Dual-Processor Dual-Core ('Quad') 2.5GHz.

There are older systems such as Dual 1.8, Single 1.8 and Single 1.6.

IMO; the Dual Processor 2.3GHz is a sweet spot, it supports 8GB of RAM whereas the Dual 2.0 only support 4GB.

The Dual Processor and Dual-core 2.3GHz are NOT slow computers, I used to use one at work and it flew along.

That said, I don't find myself thinking, darn my 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 is slow!! It has a lot to do with Mac OS X's far more elegant architecture compared to the shambles that Windows can be at times. Put it this way, when I'm all connected up to a monitor and external keyboard, people react in disbelief that all my computing is down to a small aluminium box that packs a very powerful punch.

I suggest you get to an Apple reseller or outlet, sit yourself down and play around - it's very hard not to fall in love with the Macintosh :flower:

Vicky

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.